Saturday, March 26, 2016

Last Minute Easter Bunny

I decided at the last minute to make some small Easter baskets.  I had seen a tutorial or blog post about a tiny basket, but knew I needed to make one a wee bit bigger.  I just kind of figured out how I was going to construct it and went with it.

The toughest part for me was finding some "boy" fabric without going shopping.  I raided my stash and think I came up with some boy looking baskets.


 A puppy basket for Finn.  I think I won this fabric a few years ago from Julia Graber it was her scraps from a quilt she had made for a grandson. 

A Batman basket for the middle grandson Gabriel. He told me recently when he grows up that he is going to change his name to Bruce Wayne.  (Embrace the superhero phase!)

Finally for the oldest grandson a space/planet basket.  I received this fabric from Dawn at Sew You Quilt 2.  Perfect for Xander who is all about space, aliens, and all things strange and wonderful. 

I just cut squares of fabric for top and bottom with some scraps of batting for the middle  the two baskets that I liked the best were 12 inch squares.  Sewed around the edge and then tried "pinking" Finn's basket.  I think my pinking shears are ancient and they were just not doing the job.  Also Finn's basket I made fabric wide enough, but probably a bit too long so that you saw doggie faces on all 4 sides and they were facing up.  The next two baskets I have a fiskars paper cutter which says it is a Victorian Edge and I used that to cut the edges of the next two baskets.   To make the corners I just matched the edges and sewed up through all layers about 2 inches from the point.  Handles were just two strips.  I like about 12 inches, sew around and use the decorative cutter, and sewn on using a pair of buttons.  I cut cardboard scraps to make the bottom stiff. 

If I decided to make these again I think I would probably opt for smaller squares maybe 10 or even 8 inches.  But they turned out cute.  Stuff a few eggs with whoppers, and jellybeans and we are all ready to hop.



6 comments:

  1. Those are so cute, I have to many to make for and people get mad if you leave them out even if they haven't come to see you in years

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are really cute as the dickens!! great job!! hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice baskets! my grandsons loved their hat baskets- and so did Mom success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. clever idea. I bet the kids love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea and it sounds quick. I love quick!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.