Saturday, June 24, 2017

Making Progress

I feel like have made a bit of progress the past couple of weeks.


 The pool is up and running--between Samantha and I we managed to get the pool apart, with a little man muscle from her SO---he helped get the old liner out, and the new in, but between her and I we managed to get it from start of take down to completely reassembled and filling within less than 5 hours.  We were laughing and giggling especially considering how much Jeff had struggled to put it together last year.  I even managed to figure out the filter and pump.  I am learning what chemicals to put in and when also. 

The small pond that we were working on in the side yard was completed.  I need to put a mosquito dunk in it to prevent the lovely little blood suckers, and also probably some sort of algaecide to keep it from turning too green.  All of the rocks were reclaimed from throughout the property.  I do need a few more big rocks and some more small river rocks, but it is so very relaxing listening to the fountain.

I still have a berry patch to clean up, and lots of weeding to do again, as well as a rain barrel to set up to prevent the storm drain from washing out our pool footing, but a little bit each day. 


It has been too hot for Lucy to be in and out into the sun room, and as anyone who has ever owned a cat knows, that a cat feels like you should hold the door open interminably for them while they decide if they want to be in or out.  I took some of the cut off discards from Jeff's t-shirts and made her a small pillow so she could be on top of this small set of plastic drawers to look outside.

I made some economy blocks to do another one of Jeff's t-shirts. 

I then started to make churn dashes.

For another shirt.
I tried doing a rail fence, but doing small ones seems to be a challenge for me. When it was all said and done I thought it looked quite wonky.  But I refuse to take it apart one more time!






I have another idea for my next shirt, but before starting on that I thought I should get the guild friendship block done.



I also settled down enough to try to work on my quilting machine.  I figured out how to set the tension depending on the needle and thread that I am using. 

I finished up quilting this table topper.  I think the pattern is called Rock Candy, I made it from a bunch of 2 1/2 inch strips, and a yellow fairy frost so I could test out the side kick ruler before I started a bigger project.    I even have my binding made, so I just need to sew it on. 

I have bought a few things.  I got a sweet package from Donna's Lavender Nest.  I love the yellow daisies on the green plaid and had ordered a fat quarter previous, so ordered some more.  It works great in Jeff's t-shirt quilt.  I always receive a couple of charm squares which are always too cute. 

I also saw this super cute kit, and had to have it.  Love the flag, and the snowman.  Especially when we have days that it is 90 degrees by 10 am.  I know, soon I will be complaining about how cold it is.  But right now, it reminds me that winter is coming and these sweltering days will be gone soon.












Sunday, June 4, 2017

Anti String Piecing

I have so much to do, and there are times I just kind of stall. Or I forget what I am doing. 

The friendship block of the month for guild was a string star.  Let's just say maybe I should have foundation pieced instead of just building on the white and black.

I was supposed to add blues and purples.  I don't have a lot of purple in my stash so it was tough.  I will also say that I took this block apart probably 50 times trying to get everything right.  Obviously string piecing is not my forte.

The bag lady block was a wee bit easier.


Ghastlies fabric.  Isn't it fun! 

I did another t-shirt for Jeff's t-shirt quilt.
I had bought some charm squares years ago, and discovered they were not 5 inch squares, they were 4 inch squares.  They came in handy for this.  While this is not a John Deere shirt, it is a shirt that Jeff had when he belonged to the 2 cylinder club.  It was a group that restored antique John Deere Tractors, it was something he absolutely loved. 

Of course I had some fabric acquisitions that arrived.  Darn Memorial Day sales!

Some greens, and yellows for my Saw Toothed Square block, and some text fabric. 
And some more chicken fabric.

Then I took a short jaunt to Pink Castle Fabrics to pick up an order of Blueberry Park which is low volume.

Then I looked through their sale bins and found some more treasures.

I love text prints, and I just adored the red flowered fabric, but they only had 3 fat eighths. 

I spent a lot of time cutting squares and strips Saturday, and tumblers. 

I worked on the pool this weekend.  I can't quite figure out the filter, and pump and how it all works together.  I have looked up different schematics.  Tomorrow Lucy goes to the vet, then afterwards I will hit the pool store again.  Hopefully I can get this beast going soon, before the summer is over.