Sunday, October 22, 2017

31st Biennial Festival of Quilts

Friday the 13th I decided to get out of the house and go check out the 31st Biennial Festival of Quilts at the First United Methodist Church of Dearborn. 

First of all I want to say that it will probably take me several posts to share all of the quilts.  Secondly oh what a blessing to attend this quilt show.  I met some wonderful women, and quilters. The venue was gorgeous.  I have shared some pictures on my last post for my first ever I Like Thursday Post you can see here.  Finally not all of the quilts in this show are new.  Some were from people's homes handed down generation to generation, some were parts of collections, and some were from the Dearborn Historical Museum.

 First a couple of the quilts from the Dearborn Historical Museum

1.  Scrap Quilt I loved the embroidered edge of this quilt.  Behind it there is a log cabin quilt it was quilt number 66  you can't tell but the strips were about the size of a pencil they were so tiny.  It was made circa 1906.  It was made from silk clothing, ties, even part of a bridal lace.
2.  Crazy Quilt Circa 1891.
3  Northern Star  I don't know if you can see how small the pieces are.  It was made circa 1905 pieced of velvet and wool, embroidered and tied.  
Behind this one you can see quilt 4 which was a bow tie (Quilt on the far right of the picture). 

Unfortunately I didn't get the number for this one and even after going through all of the quilts multiple times I cannot figure it out.  The quilts were not laid out in numerical order.  I will say I do love the edges of this quilt.  

These are a few of a private doll quilt collection.

Teeny tiny yoyo you can see the size based upon my finger tip.

Another yoyo quilt.
Scrap doll quilt
The donkey quilt.  I thought this was so cute.

There were 2 quilts which were made in remembrance of those killed by gun violence.

215 Remember Me  2013:  The Innocent Faces of Gun Violence

216 Remember Me 2014 The Innocent Faces of Gun Violence
The 3 fabric challenge


19 Bailey Island Hobo Bag

20 untitled
24 Untitled--Moon Fat quarter Bag
25 Untitled  Gracie Saddle Bag
26 Untitled  Barbados Bag by Pink Sand Beach Design
27 Untitled
28 Untitled  Essentially Pockets.  The fabric was made into a twister. 
30 Untitled  McCalls 5143
There were a couple of more but I didn't get pictures of them. 

Finally this is a quilt called Family Heritage.  It was tough to get good pictures because the quilts were draped over the pews. 




It was made for the quiltmaker's parent's 50th wedding anniversary.  It contains over 263 family photos.  

Wow that was a lot of pictures and I still have many more.  Which is why it took me so long to get them ready to post.  Hope you enjoyed just this small glimpse.





8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the quilt show! Can't pick a favorite! The yo-yo doll quilt was unbelievable! I love the idea of a 3-fabric challenge. I think I may use this for the Brown Bagger girls. Pugs and kisses to you and Bobbin (and Lucy the cat).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like there was a good variety of older quilts in that show, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzi showed a mule barn quilt, and when she saw it, she didn't think it came from a quilt, but, the owner came back outside with a mule baby quilt from 70 years ago. I've seen mule quilts before. Cute. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful selection of quilted items and quilts! Just lovely works; don't you just love those old quilts--they are amazing...thanks for sharing...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! I'm pretending I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the quilt show tour. so so neat to see such inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each one was amazing. That photo quilt was incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.