Friday, October 27, 2017

MQG Quilt Challenge 2017

I have been the vice president of the Monroe County Quilt Guild for 2 years now.  We have had challenges with getting people to be on the board, do charity work or  much of anything.  Since no one would take on thinking up the challenge quilt, I took on the task, since being the vice president is mainly just a do nothing type of job.  I jokingly say I am the face of the guild. 

My challenge was a basket paint chip challenge.  For $5 a person pulled a paint chip and here were their rules.



1- Each paint card contains three colors.  All three colors must be used and be easily recognize in the finished quilt. Print fabrics which are predominantly the chip colors are allowed in addition to neutrals such as white, beige, gray, or black---or whatever you want to call a neutral.

2-Theme:  Basket/s-- there are many different basket blocks.  Your quilt may be pieced or appliqued. It may feature one basket or multiple baskets.

3-Size: The finished quilt must be larger than 12 inches on a side, but not exceed 30 inches on a side.

4-The original paint card must be displayed along with the finished quilt for voting.

5-The quilt must have a top, batting and backing (3 layers). Any quilting method may be used.  The quilt must also be bound, and have a label.

6-Deadline for completion of quilt is the October Guild meeting (October 12, 2017) where members will vote for their favorite one. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners
will be recognized.   

All I am going to say is OMG the whining! 

I did not participate because I was running the  challenge.  I only got 20 people to buy a chip, and only 10 people turned in completed challenge quilts.

 This quilt was made by Judy.  You can see her paint chip pinned to the bottom right corner.


Kathy made this cute pink and black basket.

The pretty green was made by Jackie.  I think she did a great job matching her greens. 

Eve's picnic basket with wine was great.  She had a tough card....all the grays. 




Sue made the pretty teal baskets.


I loved Karen's purple basket with the super cute spools, buttons.  Another one that did a great job sticking with her colors, and the rules of the challenge.

Penny's first ever quilt.  Pretty impressive for a beginning quilter. 

Rosalyn's baskets were very cute.

Kathy's deep purple baskets were lovely.

These baskets were made by Donna.  Her beige/gray paint chip was tough, I loved her use of the eggplant as her neutral. 

The winners were chosen by the guild.  They were supposed to choose 1, 2, and 3rd places.  I then tallied the total votes.

1st place was Judy's truck. 
2nd place was Karen's purple basket
3rd place was Jackie's green basket.

I was so impressed with everyone's creativity.  I have some ideas for next year unless someone else wants to take over.  







11 comments:

  1. wow so hard to pick I like Pennys basket great use of the colors she chose

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful quilts! The new quilter deserves special kudos! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great imagination by all ! The truck is my favorite, but I have a thing for old trucks. I will say, whining over everything - takes place in Texas too, and never a thank you. So thank you ! Too bad all the movers, shakers and doers don't live close together, that would make one fantastic quilt guild !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did great running things and I love them all

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Jackie's and the Truck, but they are all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They all deserve applause 👏👏👏. Way to go ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked Jackie'g green quilt - thought the quilting was great too. Can't believe that was Penny's first quilt. I can assure you my first quilt was nowhere near her skill set - Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well...the ten who did the project surely did a nice job on them. It would be hard to choose favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun way to get people involved and some pretty wall hangings in the process :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your paint chip challenge was tougher than ours. We could pick our own paint chips, as long as the color started with one of the first 3 letters of our first name. I need to finish that challenge quilt (not due till the March quilt show in 2018).

    ReplyDelete
  11. A shame you weren't better supported by the members Colette but those that completed the challenge did a great job! They're all winners aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.