Sunday, November 19, 2017

November Thankful Day 20

I grew up on the west coast.   I am Native American.  I was always taught to be proud of my heritage.  I will admit that it was not always easy.  Yes there were people who treated me like I was less of a human because of my race. 

20.  November 20--I am thankful for my heritage.  While many people look at Thanksgiving as the day the pilgrims gave thanks.  We should remember that the Wampanoag Indians  helped the Pilgrims survive by teaching them how to plant the three sisters (corn, squash, and beans), and how to catch and process fish and seafood.  Without their help the Pilgrims would have probably vanished into the wilderness. 

You can see some baskets, a purse and pottery here.  These are some of my mother's treasures. 

My youngest daughter, Samantha, when she was an early teen, doing a brush dance which is a healing ceremony. The hat, dress, and jewelry she wore were part of the regalia my grandmother had made over the years. 

My middle daughter, Rebecca learning how to weave baskets from my Grandmother Josephine when she was a teen. 

As a teen I was taught how to distinguish plants and herbs and what their medicinal uses were.  

I have always taught my children to respect their elders, and the earth.  That it is important to know your heritage and celebrate where your beginnings were. 

19.  November 19-  I am thankful for flowers
These are the flowers I had made up for Jeff's celebration of life.  Flowers always remind you of the sweetness of life.

18.  November 18-  I am thankful for blogging and the friends I have made

17.  November 17-  I am thankful for quilting.
A Jelly Roll Race quilt I made for one of my grand daughters.

16.  November 16-  I am thankful for Calder's Dairy and Egg nog

15.  November 15-  I am thankful for my options to worship.  Today this evening at church they had a pie auction.  Many ladies contributed a pie, some made several.  The pies were auctioned to raise money to make food boxes for the holidays for those less fortunate in the community.  I was astounded.  A peanut butter pie went for $200! 

14.  November 14-  I am thankful for my Kindle and all the books that I have the opportunity to read, and the local library.  I can listen to my Kindle while sewing.  I have read over 140 books so far this year. 




13.  November 13.  I am thankful for Lucy the cat.



12.  November 12--I am thankful for Bobbin

11.  November 11  I am thankful for my tenacious character to get things done.

10.  November 10--I am thankful for fall.

9.  November 9 I am thankful for saved items.  Maybe I should call them hoarded items.
Jeff one day brought home a whole truck load of these wire shelving pieces.  There were several that were 20 + feet long.  Since getting it we have put up shelves in the pantry, shelves in the great aunt and uncle's house, and I even put up some in the barn to put the power tools up and away. 

8.  November 8--I am thankful for music.
Jeff always thought his song should have been "Do You Think My Tractor's Sexy?"  I think this one was better suited to us.

7.  November 7-- I am thankful for the Boy Scout organization.

 6.  November 6--I am thankful that I can shop online.
I found these two fun gingham fabrics online on sale recently.


5.  November 5--I am thankful that I could get new doors in my home to add more light.

4.  November 4.   I am thankful for coffee.

3.  November 3.  I am thankful for the roof over my head.  I love falling asleep to the rain on the standing seam steel roof which is over 150 years old.

2.  November 2.    I am thankful for the fact my feet hit the floor every morning, whether I want to get out of bed or not.

1.  November 1.  I am thankful for every morning I wake up--too many people don't get to see the light of another day.  Thinks about it how would you act if you knew that today was your last day on Earth?  Today is a gift.  Tomorrow is not promised.  





7 comments:

  1. according to my Grandmother we have some Indian decent as well. hey we may be long lost sistas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have Indian blood in our family, but, I don't remember any of the info right now. I should really research it more. Maybe I'll hear more at my next family reunion, next October. Hubby just discovered that the rumors in his family are true, and that he really is related to Quannah Parker. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I knew more about the Cherokee in our family tree...she is far enough away from me that I am only a 1/16 I think...sure could tell in my Grandma and her sisters faces though, beautiful :). None of them really talked about her though and now they all are gone. Good that you have shared so much with your daughters! Those flowers were even more beautiful in person, such a loving tribute you had that day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that picture of the "Brush Dance" ceremony--just beautiful decorations--and I am sure they all mean something...
    My family is French Canadian---and I didn't speak English until I was @ 6+ years old--we all spoke French.
    When I went to Kindergarten, luckily my teacher was from Canada and spoke French--but I got a whole lot of teasing about my "accent". I learned to speak English quickly for sure...I miss my French speaking relatives who have all passed over...I still dream in French..strange huh? Hugs for a super wonderful Thanksgiving, Rheema...I am so thankful for good friends like you hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Post. Wishing you a blessed, glorious Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another wonderful post! Educational, too! Thanks for sharing your heritage with us. You have some wonderful treasures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.