Wednesday, February 14, 2018

I Like Thursday #14

Welcome to my 14th I like Thursday.

My last post was about Snowmaggedon and I haven't posted since then.  I find the snow fascinating, just in smaller accumulations.

Remember my post from my last I Like Thursday?  The swing, the shadows, how the snow had stuck to a vertical surface.

I really liked this though.

The swing, still snowing, looked like Belgian Waffles with powdered sugar on top.
I liked the snow how it accumulated on this spruce.  Makes it look like a Christmas postcard, if only it was a bit brighter out.

I like how the now accumulated on the butterfly bushes. 

I like the little pops of color from my flowers from farm implements that Jeff made me with the stark background.

I like how ice formed around the chain links in the chicken run.


It warmed up quite a bit Wednesday, and while I was out feeding the girls this evening it all collapsed at once with a huge crash.

I like the snow on the old oak.  I think about how heavy snow is and wonder that it doesn't topple those old branches to the ground.

I like the fact that Spring is on its way.  How do I know?  Tuesday was Fat Tuesday or in Michigan it is known as Paczki day.

Per Wikipedia:

Pączki (Polish pronunciation: [ˈpɔnt͡ʂkʲi] (About this sound listen); singular: pączek [ˈpɔnt͡ʂɛk]; Kashubian: pùrcle, Silesian: kreple) are filled doughnuts that are typical for Polish cuisine.

Pączki are deep-fried pieces of dough shaped into flattened spheres and filled with confiture or other sweet filling. Pączki are usually covered with powdered sugar, icing, glaze or bits of dried orange zest. A small amount of grain alcohol (traditionally, Spiritus) is added to the dough before cooking; as it evaporates, it prevents the absorption of oil deep into the dough.[1] The common opinion is that the ideal pączek is fluffy and at the same time a bit collapsed, with a bright stripe around – it is supposed to guarantee that the dough was fried in fresh oil.[2][3]


 I like the ones with Raspberry filling.  Jeff used to always bring me Paczki from a huge bakery in Hamtramck called the New Palace Bakery.  One of the guys that used to work for the city would go and stand in a huge line to pick up several dozen for the guys at the DPS.  Jeff would always snag one to bring home to me.

I like craft fairs.  I went to one the other day, but frankly the only two crafts were a man and his wife making wire jewelry from copper, and another man that had lots of stones and rocks which he had found, and made into jewelry.  He called himself a rock hound.  I liked what he had, but I saw this and new I had to have it.

It is a Petoskey Stone!

Good old Wikipedia to the rescue again:

A Petoskey stone is a rock and a fossil, often pebble-shaped, that is composed of a fossilized rugose coral, Hexagonaria percarinata.[1] Such stones were formed as a result of glaciation, in which sheets of ice plucked stones from the bedrock, grinding off their rough edges and depositing them in the northwestern (and some in the northeastern) portion of Michigan's lower peninsula. In those same areas of Michigan, complete fossilized coral colony heads can be found in the source rocks for the Petoskey stones.
Petoskey stones are found in the Gravel Point Formation of the Traverse Group. They are fragments of a coral reef that was originally deposited during the Devonian period.[1] When dry, the stone resembles ordinary limestone but when wet or polished using lapidary techniques, the distinctive mottled pattern of the six-sided coral fossils emerges. It is sometimes made into decorative objects. Other forms of fossilized coral are also found in the same location.

Finally I like prints in the snow.  I saw this one the other day, and smiled and though my guardian angel has been here protecting me.


Now head over to LeeAnna's at Not Afraid of Color and check out the other I Like Thursday posts.


15 comments:

  1. Good Morning Colette,
    Oh, those tracks in the snow. So cool, and I agree - your guardian angel was there protecting you. The ice on the chain link fence - I've never seen that happen before, or a picture of it anyway. So cool! We have a version of the Paczki here with all of our Danish bakeries. I definitely prefer the raspberry filling over the prune. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes buy Paczis for Hubby..he is a raspberry fan. Interesting history and that is an interesting rock too. It really is something wonderful you caught that wing track...they fade really fast so yes, I think it is definitely special for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty snow pictures! We are back to mostly grass here again but there was enough snow last night to cause fog closures for the schools this morning...they are enjoying yet another e learning day today. Hope you enjoyed your paczki...I have never really cared for those but there must be lots who do judging by the amount for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many beautiful snow pictures! You made me hungry, though, with talk of snow covered waffles and paczki. The wing track is an amazing photo capture...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! another donut tradition for Shrove Tuesday. Here in England they do pancakes...more like crepes than the American pancakes. We had a pancake night with friends on Tues from church. We rented the kitchen/foyer of the community centre as it is getting too crowded when when we have everybody here at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I meant to say I love the stone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an informative post on the stones and Paczki. Thank you. Cool tracks in the snow. mary in Az

    ReplyDelete
  8. More beautiful snow pictures! Although I'm sorry about the Snowmaggedon... I've heard of the Petoskie stones, but never seen one - how fun to have something made from one that you can use!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is a fascinating stone. A piece of history in your hand. I want some donuts like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Craft fairs are such good stuff. That rock is pretty neat! Love the snow photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha.. the snow does look like waffles! How fun! Those paczki look and sound yummy! Karen, Hannah and Baa. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed your post so much today! Your paczki are similar to our fastnachts but ours don't have filling (which sounds wonderful)! Those snow tracks are wonderful! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed your snow pictures and that can't remamber the name, is it like a donut?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You'd love the snow on the mountains around Anchorage. It's lovely here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.