Monday, May 21, 2018

A Festival of Quilts

While I was in Portland, Oregon I looked for any nearby quilt shows.  Imagine my delight when I found the Northwest Quilters, Inc. A Festival of Quilts their 44th Annual Quilt Show which took place on May 11, and 12, 2018. 

The Northwest Quilter's challenge this year was to create a 24 inch square quilt using a nursery rhyme drawn from Mother Goose and her goose Gertrude.

She Shall Have Music Wherever She Goes by Kathleen Anderson

This was one of my favorites, and the only one I could get a clear picture since these were set up as a wall along where you entered the show.

The featured quilter was Kathie Kerler her quilts were beautiful, and so very personal at times. 





These are just a few of the quilts from the show. 




This quilt was made by Barbara Stanbro of Cat Patches.



I loved the fabric in this quilt. 


I liked the sunflowers and blackbirds in this quilt.


I thought this was very pretty. 


The fall colors always capture my attention.



I liked the bumble bee in this quilt. 

This quilt was so fun with the turtles, and seahorses.  All of the colored fabrics were batiks and had turtles. 


When I saw this quilt the first thing I thought was This Makes Me Happy, imagine my delight when I saw the name of the quilt.


There were a whole bunch of these woven type quilts.  This was my favorite.



I just loved this quilt.  According to the description it was a kit by Laura Heine.  I may have to look up to see if I can find this kit. 




I thought this was a very pretty quilt. 



This is a miniature quilt.  The clothespin holding the card gives you a good idea how small the pieces are. 


Loved the colors in this one.







I thoroughly enjoyed this 3 dimensional quilt. 


I loved the simplicity of this quilt.  I loved the quilting.

Of course I stopped at some of the vendor booths.


I saw this batik and I adored it so I had to get some.


Two chicken patterns.

A gorgeous kit of Dogwoods. 

There was a quilter's garage sale which took up about 6 booths of space.  It was full of patterns, quilts, quilt tops, fabric, kits, sewing machines, and other notions.

The one booth that I looked at and should have went back to was The 70273 Project.  The background of this project was between January 1940 and August 1941, 70,273 physically and mentally disabled people of all ages were murdered by the Nazis.  Without ever laying eyes on the disabled person they were evaluated.  The assessing doctors read the medical files and if, from the words on the page the person was deemed "unfit" or an "economic Burden on society" or "a useless eater"  a red X was placed at the bottom of the form.  Three doctors read each medical file, and when two of them made a red X on the page, the disabled person's fate was sealed.  You can read more about it here at the 70273 Project

A great show and it is annual so if you live in the Portland area, or will be in the vicinity in 2019 maybe you should attend.  





10 comments:

  1. Wow! What a feast for the eyes! Thanks so much for sharing these gorgeous quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very eye catching and so my diffrent ideas... happyness04431@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Quilt show--spectacular quilts--gotta say i love the sunflowers and tomato pincushion a lot...thank you for sharing these with us...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures of the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treat to sit here in the sunshine with a cup of coffe and stroll through that lovely quilt show. Such an outstanding amount to talent. My favorite was the 3D piece of the elements. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such lovely photo's - thanks for the wonderful photo's. I really loved the pegs that held the makers details. So individual and cleverly made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow....some wonderful quilts! love the bird and the lips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGoodness. There are some real beauties there. I am so glad that you discovered the show, stopped in for a visit and shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a show, thanks for all the inspiration and sharing all these wonders.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.