Wednesday, May 2, 2018

I Like Thursday #24

I missed a week of I like Thursday because I was traveling and didn't really have an internet connection.  I had cell service, but that was about it.  I have amassed so many pictures of different things. 

This is the Salmon River which run past the home where my Great Grandmother lived.  I love how it is so clear. 

I liked the mascot for Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka, California.  Shark, holding a beer with a surfboard.  What could be better?

I love the dogwoods growing along the roads going into the reservation, and up toward the cemetery.

I miss rhododendrons, and this one at a cemetery in Eureka where one of my great grandmothers is buried is gorgeous.

I adore being able to get fresh seafood.  Fresh Crab Louie at a Bar in the Marina in Eureka, California.

The PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) I have always been fascinated with it, and wanted to hike it.  Here it crosses a road and so I walked it about 1/4 of a mile--running a ridgeline.  Can you imagine having the energy to thru hike from the Mexican Border in California, all the way to the Canadian Border?  2650 miles!

Not far from this portion of the PCT is a little town called Etna, California.  During the summer it is very busy with hikers getting provisions, mail, etc.  It is pretty quiet now because there is still snow up there in the passes.  But there is a super cute diner and they have fabulous home made pie.

I love blackberry pie.  Warmed up with vanilla ice cream, this should tempt any thru hiker off the mountain and into town.

I have family in Etna, so we stopped to have dinner together.  She used to be a mule skinner i.e.  mule driver, back when they would pack people into the wilderness.  Anyway at the local diner, my dad mentioned I am from Detroit, Michigan.  The next thing I know "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey is playing and the cook is singing too me.  So I thought I would leave you with this little ditty.  After listening head on over to LeeAnna's at Not Afraid of Color to check out the other I like Thursday posts.  Maybe by then I will have internet service again!









15 comments:

  1. Wow- great post! I loved the ruins( great reminder for me of the 70's). Thanks for Journey! mary in Az

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another post full of beautiful sights :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Colette,
    I love Journey! It seems like they are popular again as I always hear them played at weddings. That pie looks to die for - yum! I cannot imagine hiking that trail from Mexico to Canada. WOWEE. I'm glad you are back - I missed you.
    ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the pictures and stories behind them

    ReplyDelete
  5. now that's a moment. What a great connection you made with the serenade. It makes life memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many neat likes. That shark mascot is terrific. Dogwood flowers! and mmm... blackberry pie. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!! Thanks for the Journey video....took me back a few years, well maybe more than a few, 😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like your trip has had some fun memories. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. An uplifting post! That pie looked delish!!! :) Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read your travel posts and loved all the pics. It's obvious you had a great time! It would have been more fun if you'd gotten to spend time with me, but that will have to be another trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting to see where you have been and what you have been seeing. I remember Dogwoods from my visit to my brother's in Nashville - what a show they put on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All your photos of your journey are super interesting. We have loads of rhododendrons here, but most are a purple colour. There is a famous park - Virginia Waters - near us that has one whole area, bowl shaped, with azaleas and rhododendrons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Based on these photos, keep on traveling! I love this hodge-podge ... so interesting!!! Have you read the book Wild, by Cheryl Strayed? It was also made into a movie. It is about Cheryl's solo hike of the PCT.

    That pie with ice cream looks really good right about now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No..... I cannot imagine hiking that trail. Yikes. The Louie salad is making my mouth water. You saw such gorgeous sights.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.