Wednesday, August 25, 2021

172 I Like Thursday Posts

 Welcome to my 172nd I like Thursday post.  Thank you LeeAnna for encouraging us to find things each week that we like/love.  

We have had a hot humid week, which is weird since just the week before we were in the low 70's and in the low 50's overnight.  This week we are in the high 80's to low 90's with high humidity.  Even the rare thunderstorm and accompanying rain isn't helping it a whole lot.  My volunteer sunflower is looking kind of droopy. It has 26 blossoms.  I decided to take a picture from every direction.




One of my Rose of Sharon bushes finally bloomed.


I find it interesting that these blooms remind me of the hibiscus you see on Hawaiian prints.  

I have been trying to carve out at least 15-30 minutes a day to sew.  I finished up step 4 for On Grassy Creek.

This is one block set of 4 out of 25 total.  I need to work at squaring them up, and clipping the dog ears.

I used part of step 5 as a leader and ender while I was sewing step 4.  I have actually been digging through my bin of 1 1/2 inch squares.  I need 35 total, I have made 10 so far just from the scrap bin.

Halloween dog costumes are arriving at the store.  

A Dinosaur.  It reminds me of Little Foot from the movie Land Before Time.
I am going to call this a Gecko.  I like the fabric.
A Llama!  I love the blanket with the little ball fringe.

A taco....loaded of course.  

I like drinking cold brew, but it is kind of expensive to purchase.  I have tried to make it using the insta pot but it isn't very strong.  I decided to purchase a jug to try it.  First I needed to grind some beans....4 cups of coarse grounds are needed.  

I love this grinder that I purchased a year or so ago because I can change the grind from very coarse to very fine. 

Next you fill the filter which is a very fine mesh metal, with your ground coffee.

Next you pour a gallon of filtered water over the grounds.  Which sounds simple right? 

Nope because you can only pour a small amount of water into the coffee grounds at a time.  I will say it took approximately 1 hour of pouring off and on to get the gallon of water into the pot.  Once you have your water in the jug, place it in the fridge with the grounds in the filter for 24 hours.  

My glass of cold brew with some cream and Coffee Mate Sweet Bliss Vanilla Coffee creamer.  I am pretty impressed even though it took some time.  

This is my youngest grandson Cayden.  He turned 8 on August 15th.  My mom, his great grandmother took him and his family to the beach to beat the heat and celebrate.

On the 25th my oldest grandson turned 14.  Wow how time flies.  How unfair that this boy has this beautiful red  hair with gorgeous curls.  But beware!  He has been known to steal your hair tie/scrunchie! 

I love the personalities that these boys exhibit!  Smart, loving, kind, both of them.  

My books....

 

Assault and Batting by Tess Rothery.  Taylor Quinn returns to her small hometown in Oregon to run the quilt shop that her mother had once owned care for her elderly grandfather, and teenage sister.  Taylor's sister Belle insists that their mother's death was not an accident.  As small town secrets come out Taylor begins to believe Belle may be right.

Be Still My Bleating Heart by Hannah Reed. This is the 4th book in the Scottish Highlands Mystery which features Eden Elliot, an American that has escaped to a small town in Scotland to write her next romance novel.  While many have heard of the Burn's Night Dinners not many have heard of the Sir Walter Scott Dinners.  When one of the attendees is discovered dead Eden must unravel the mystery before she ends up as the next victim.
Cappuccinos, Cupcakes, and a Corpse by Harper Lin.  This is another book that I reread because I wanted to read the 2nd book and it had been 5 years since I had read it originally.  Francesca Amaro moves back to her hometown of Cape Bay, Massachusetts to run the families coffee shop.  When she discovers her neighbor sitting in a lawn chair dead, it is up to Francesca and her friend Matty to discover who would have wanted to poison him.  
Crossed by Death by ACF Bookens.  Paisley Sutton crawls through and old building that she has received permission to salvage, she discovers an apartment, set as if the person just walked away, and a body.  Paisley starts to research the gas station and town history and people's personal stories that perhaps they would prefer to remain secret. 
Little Bookshop of Murder by Maggie Blackburn. Shakespearean Professor, Summer Merriweather returns to her hometown of Brigid's Island, NC to take over her mother's bookshop called Beach Reads.  Summer has always looked down on the books which aren't real literature in her mind, so she can't wait to get the shop ready to sell.  When Summer discovers threatening notes to her mother Hildy, and how can such a healthy vibrant woman die suddenly of a heart attack.  Perhaps her death wasn't natural after all.
On Borrowed Crime by Kate Young.  Lila Moody loves her small town of Sweet Mountain, Georgia, and especially her new job working as a receptionist for her uncle's private investigating firm.  A strange encounter with one of the Jane Doe Mystery Book group who is reported missing a few days later and some interesting clues referencing some Jane Doe murders.  When Lila's lost suitcase is delivered to her apartment with the missing Jane Doe group member who was reported missing, Lila is convinced they are related. 
Welcome to Spicetown by Sherri Richey.  Spicetown a small town in the hills of southern Ohio has a sweet mayor Cora Mae Bingham, and Police Chief Conrad Harris that look after all the town residents.  Missing fireworks, an complaining senior citizen who starts to act strange, and a new shop that is selling items that aren't quite what they claim to be. 
Now head over to LeeAnna's at Not Afraid of Color to check out the other I Like Thursday posts. 













10 comments:

  1. Love the dog costumes and your sunflowers so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. those costumes!! the book titles are hilarious and we've been in 90's sun and smoke... not pleasant. My vege all perished. SO many books to try... lovely grandsons bet they are interesting too which really makes them fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew there were so many cozy mystery series out there? I've checked from time to time, but our library system only has some of them. Not that I could read them all anyway. I'm guessing Bobbin isn't a big fan of costumes.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a special jug made just for cold brew? I've been making mine with 2 cups of water and 1/3 cup grounds. After I filter it, it makes two smallish servings - I pour it over ice, add milk and some vanilla. We've looked at various devices for "brewing" cold brew, but none of them seem as easy as what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yowza, Colette! Thanks for all the book recommendations. I've always wanted a Rose of Sharon but never had any luck. Yay for it actually getting a bloom. Halloween costumes already!! I guess it's not that far away, is it?! I am dying to try cold brew!! I just ordered my first taste from the grocery store. It seems like it should just be cold coffee?? I adore coffee so I am certain I'll love it. Maybe you can share the name/brand of the items you use? Love the pictures of your grandsons!! A while bunch of love for you, I'm sure. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the llama costume! Pretty flowers, great blocks. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your store features some very cute items; I would find it hard to resist around it all the time. Your sunflower outdid itself even in the heat. Our humidity broke overnight...today glorious feeling with normal heat and sunshine. Nice to see the grandkids...my two grandsons are similar, one 7, almost 8 and the other going to be 17 next week. Seriously, just where does the time go???

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's quite a list of books! Good job on persevering to make the delicious fancy coffee. Grassy Creek is coming right along. It's always a "like" to make progress on a project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can’t believe how many sunflowers you have on that plant. Love them. I always wondered if the Rose of Sharon has a link to the hibiscus plant. They look so similar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such cute dog costumes! Bobbin has a lot to look forward to! Your sunflowers and flowers look great. It was hot and humid here all week too. Such handsome grandsons!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.