Wednesday, October 13, 2021

179 I Like Thursday Posts

 I don't know but while I was typing 179 I like Thursday Posts for some reason it came out with the tune of 99 bottles of beer on the wall.  Silly I know.  Thanks to LeeAnna for encouraging us to find things that we like/love and share each week.  Some weeks it is hard, some weeks we are so very busy, and some weeks it is easy!

This week was easy.  I haven't worked as many hours, there is a new lady who started working.  While I stick around a little past the end of my shift to help her get going, I am not working 11-12 hour days!  Which means I feel much more rested and calm.  Perhaps it is why the silly song was in my mind today.  

I like the very moderate fall we have been having.  We had a few very cool days, to the point that we turned the furnace on, they fell so quickly.  But then we were warm again and while we don't need the A/C the days and nights have been very pleasant.  So nice in fact that at 9 am this morning there was sun, the temp was about 65 and I was outside working.

I love how the shag bark hickory almost sparkles in the early morning sunshine.

The leaves are just starting to change a wee bit.  This year they are kind of yellow, but there have been years that it has been brilliant orange.  

People keep mentioning about how pine, fir and spruce trees have a lot of cones this year.  Even my spruce tree which is almost dead is full of cones, but the prairie fire crab apple is just full.

The pineapple sage finally started to bloom.

I have been taking down the pool this fall, and I spied this tiny orange feather.

Here is a picture of a screw head for a size reference.

The Middle grandson and I managed to get the pool completely torn apart today and ready to store for the winter tomorrow.  

Last week on Monday the grand daughter and oldest grandson who live next door announced they wanted to go to the homecoming dance and needed clothes.  With the crazy schedules we work I was the only adult that had time to take them shopping.  Between a resale shop, goodwill, and Kohl's we managed to find everything that was needed in less than 3 hours and we spent less than $150 total.  

Gabriella and Xander----Gabe is hiding behind the tree.  He was bummed that even though he is only 15 months younger than Xander he wasn't old enough for the dance yet. 

Xander in his Goodwill suit.  I thought we did a pretty good job.  It is nice to see this kids smiling and having fun and working on a new normal.  

I saw this and thought for those of us dog owners that it was funny.

I have done a little sewing.  I finished up 3 blocks for the SAL that I have been participating.



I read several books this week, but there were just a few that I really enjoyed. 

Murder with Peacocks by Donna Andrews.  I have noticed while some of these books were written a score of years ago they have been updated to reflect a more current time, like talking about using the internet, google, etc.  Meg Langslow has returned home for the summer since somehow she has ended up being the maid of honor for 3 weddings.  Meg's best friend's wedding is first up and she hasn't even chosen a wedding dress, Meg's sister in law to be with all of her demands, and her mother with even more demands.  When Meg's future step father's sister- in -law from his deceased wife goes missing, Meg decides there is a lot around home that is not quite right.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book it made me laugh out loud several times.  I am looking forward to reading the 2nd book in the series. 


 Desolation Mountain by William Kent Kreuger is the 17th book in the Cork O'Connor series.  Cork and his son work at unraveling the mystery behind the plane crash of a senator, and the disappearances of the people who were first responders.  

Every Crooked Nanny by Kathy Hogan Trocheck.  Callahan Garrity has traded in her badge as an Atlanta Police officer for a broom and is running a cleaning service.  When called to clean a house, only to discover the woman who owns it is a former sorority sister, Callahan can't wait to finish.  But when she is hired to locate a missing nanny by that same sorority sister and they discover the missing nanny in a department store fur vault, dead Callahan is up to her elbows in mystery.  


I also picked up the first book in the sister Fidelma series by Peter Tremayne--Absolution by Murder.  Sister Fidelma is attending the Whitby synod of 644 when an Abbess Etian is discovered murdered in her cell.  Fidelma is tasked with finding the murder while the attendees determine the fate of Christendom in the British Isles.  Do they follow the teachings of Rome, or the teachings of Celtic church.

Thanks for stopping by, and please head over to LeeAnna's at Not Afraid of Color to check out the other I Like Thursday posts. 












11 comments:

  1. Orange feathers mean your angel wants you to create something and can also mean a new love. I keep seeing white and gray ones. Lookin good girl and glad you get to work less and take time for YOU. Kiddos look cool in their new duds too

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear you are getting more time to yourself--
    super picture--nice blocks--I love those colors...
    How to Walk a Human is a hoot:)) thanks for the laugh...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking great , keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope they had fun at Homecoming! What a tiny feather! So glad you're not working as much. Love those blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you've had a more relaxing week, and there is a new person to help out in your department! Your grands look great in their finery - I hope they had a wonderful time. I love the Cork O'Connor series, and haven't read one in a long time. I'll have to figure out where I left off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiny little feather! Those blocks look great. Glad you're getting a chance to enjoy the weather. They look great for homecoming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great likes! Love the photos of the grandkids, good job on the shopping Grandma! That little feather speaks to me too! So glad you are working more manageable hours! Your quilt blocks are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Colette! Your granddaughter and oldest grandson look quite festive for the dance. What a fabulous job you did in three short hours!! I am so impressed. They look beautiful and handsome. I hope they had a fabulous time!! I love the human walking by a dog - the bark often makes me think of Milo. What a nice picture of you! You need to update your photo on your website - I think that's a good one!! {{Hugs}} So glad you are getting some relief at work FINALLY. Happy Friday. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kids look so cute in their outfits for homecoming. You’ll enjoy work much better with the new help. Beautiful blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice to see you, Collette and the grandkids as well. Yes I think it was great to put together outfits like that and they seemed very happy which is the main thing. Also good news that you aren’t working those gruelling shifts. More time to make more of those beautiful blocks of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you look so pretty in your selfie! 65 is the perfect temp to me. The clothing expedition went well, she looks gorgeous and what a character that GS is! Poor the boy behind the tree left behind this time, his time will come. That tiny feather! Wonder if it's from a chook.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.