Wednesday, May 8, 2019

I Like Thurday #63

Welcome to my little corner of the universe where I have been encouraged to find things I like during the week by LeeAnna of Not Afraid of Color.  Another busy week and as I was preparing for charity sew day for guild I realized oh snap! I need to write a post.  I think I have some things to share.  So here it goes.

I like gardening, not a fan of the weeding, and I will say the weeds and thistle are already out of control this year.  But imagine my delight when I spied a trillium beginning to break through the dirt.  I was always told that if you picked one it would be 7 years before it flowered again.  Mine isn't quite to the point to flower but it is trying, if we just had some sun, and not so much rain.

Alongside that trillium in that bed near the chicken house on the dark side of the garage, under the tree is an old decorative fence which was rescued and  that I put up and in that poor neglected bed are lily of the valley too.  I see shoots coming up all over which means that it has spread, which is what I wanted it to do.  In the not too distant future I will have a carpet of these beauties.

What makes that bed so very special is Jeff heard me mention that I loved them, and I was delighted when I discovered some in a weed patch by the front porch when I first moved in.  I transplanted as many as I could and they struggled but grew.  Then one year Jeff had a man come in with a 5 gallon bucket full of the lily of the valley he was going to throw away.  Jeff brought them home and lovingly planted them in that bed. 

I managed to get my fruit trees sprayed before they leafed, and in just a week later the cherry tree had blossoms.

I love cherry blossoms they are so pretty.  I wonder if I will be lucky enough to get a few cherries this year finally. 

At church we have a secret sister and I received this from my secret sister recently.

I have been following the directions but it isn't doing too well.  I am wondering if it needs to possibly be repotted.  I hear you have to have a special potting mix.  It seems to possibly be root bound, I have always heard orchids are hard and I am discovering that it is true but it is so pretty. 

I like doing charity stuff and am thrilled when I get some things accomplished.  This past month I made dog/cat pillows for the animal shelter.

Those will go to guild and I will have managed to have eliminated 4 big garbage bags of scraps and batting that have been donated to me.  YIPPEE!  Except I found 2 more bags of scraps and batting for beds as I was prepping for charity sew day at guild.  Boo!

What do you do with a copy paper box full of 2 1/2 inch strips?  You make a scrappy trip quilt.  OK not quite a quilt, but not too shabby considering that I was doing it as leaders and enders for about 2 weeks. 

This a Bonnie Hunter pattern and it is under the free tab.  Super fun and simple to make and so this will be what the ladies will be working on at charity sew day.  I need one more block, and 15 blocks makes a gurney size quilt! 

Bobbin got to go to the pet store the other day, she has been having problems with her collars rubbing since she doesn't have a ton of fur, and she gets raw spots on her neck and chest.  I have tried padded ones, ones with sheepskin, and they just aren't working.  While we were cruising the aisles getting a new water bowl, a new tie out lead, and a couple of toys we spied these dog hats.

Auntie LeeAnna look at the flamingo hat.  Here I will turn sideways so you can see it better.

Nope Bobbin was not a fan of the flamingo hat. So back on the hook it went.  Bobbin and I conferred and think it was definitely too small for Milo's majestic head.

I like to repurpose things in my house.  I don't necessarily refinish them, but I will use them for something they were not intended.   Like this beautiful old dresser which was in a closet in my bedroom.  I know, um I don't have clothes in that closet so I was unaware of the empty dresser.  It is a great size for a TV stand though, and the drawers can store movies and other stuff.

I was telling my mom about it and of course her first comment was you did put a dresser scarf on it right.  Um I don't own a dresser scarf.  Oh Duh!  I have plenty of table runners and so I pulled one out and redid it after this pictures. 

My book for the week that I enjoyed the most was Wood's Wreck by Steven Becker.  What I like about these books are they are a fast read, full of action, adventure, the Florida Keys, scuba diving, smuggling, and espionage. 

Now head over to LeeAnna's to see what the other people who post I Like Thursdays have on their list of likes.













14 comments:

  1. Some great likes. I like your scrappy trip quilt and poor Bobbin with the flamingo hat. Lol your orchid is a pretty one. I think they like potbound. I know my Dad has one i gave him years ago

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a trillium in person around here--yours is lovely; that old dresser is gorgeous--and Momma was right--it needs a dresser scarf for sure; Bobbin was such a good egg to allow you to photograph him in that flamingo hat--it looks heavy!! Your Scrappy trips is really coming along so well--soon it will go all around the world lol hugs, and thanks for another lovely post Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Colette!! OMG!!!! Bobbin looks adorable in the flamingo hat. Aww, too bad it is too small for Milo as he would really r.o.c.k. it. Lilies of the Valley!! I have a small patch - slightly bigger than a quarter - that I have been nursing for a year. They haven't peeked out yet but I am certain they will soon. Oh, that orchid is gorgeous - and what a nice idea - the secret sister project. I would like to participate in that. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning! I've never seen or heard of a trillium before but how lovely and delicate that is. It sounds like Jeff was such a thoughtful person. When I've had orchids before, I would set an ice cube in the pot once a week and that seemed to work for "watering". Don't know if that will help you. What a smart idea on those pet pillows. Have a fun day. mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bobbin! that hat is bigger than you, who are you a Las Vegas showgirl??? But it is superb. So much lily of the valley, little pearls for the landscape. Jeff loved you so.
    The dresser looks terrific there. Scarf! funny and old school. Maybe a little quilt though...
    thanks for the book review, DH would love it!
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list! I love the flamingo hat on Bobbin! I tried to get Blue to wear one of my thread Easter eggs as a hat but he was having none of it. I love the book suggestion too- action packed fast read, scuba diving all sound like good things for my commute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always loved the Lily of the Valley plants. They don’t do well here, but we can grow the orchids outside. They love to be rootbound. Problems usually come from watering issues. I always figure to give them one ice cube a week and good light.

    Poor Bobbin. I don’t blame him for not liking it.

    Love your L/E project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a silly hat! :-) Lilly of the valley make me smile. Your trip quilt blocks look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post! White trillium is the provincial flower of Ontario and hopefully, we will soon see them all over the place. They are pretty. In daughter's garden, a few turn pinkish/purple and are really nice. I love Lily of the Valley...such a sweet little bloom.
    What a clever thing to do, making these leaders and enders. Your work to do date looks marvelous.
    Of course you are always so generous with your time and skills. Enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't tell what kind of pot your orchid is in. They do like to be pot bound and rather than watering with an ice cube, try letting the pot soak in water for 10 minutes. Then let it drain. I have 8 phalaenopsis (the kind you have) and they are all doing well. They need bright indirect light. All of my have rebloomed.
    Watch out for the Lily of the Valley. They can be invasive once they get established.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Lily of the Valley - how wonderful to have so much of it in your yard! I also love the Scrappy Trip Around the World block, and made it myself a few years ago. Perfect use for those strips! The dresser for your TV is also perfect - a really pretty piece. I'll have to try that book - action, adventure, smuggling, espionage - right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving the quilt you are making from scraps!! Thanks for sharing the photos of the flowers you enjoy. I had trillium in my garden once but alas, it disappeared a few years ago (probably from the dogs). Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing Bobbin wearing his hat! So funny! I love lilies of the valley. They smell so good! I'm awful with plants and I've also heard orchids are difficult. I love Bonnie Hunter's patterns and your Scrappy Trip is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the dresser. I don't use dresser scarves, but I do have table toppers on lots of things to keep me from scratching them. It's fun to re-purpose things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.