Thursday, September 26, 2019

Maine and Acadia

Welcome back to my travel post.  If you haven't read before I promised to take my 75 yo and 78 yo parents on a road trip to Maine.  Well we have finally arrived! 

This is the Penobscot Narrows bridge from a view point.  The Penobscot River was a vital waterway and it was interesting how important protection from the British this area was.



The Penobscot Narrows bridge replaced the Waldo Hancock Bridge which was built in 1931. 

There is actually a viewing platform that for a fee you can go up to the observation area. You can read more about the bridge, the engineering and the observation tower here.

Looking across to Verona Island.  I thought it was so pretty.



Nearby was Fort Knox.  No not that Fort Knox with the gold.  This was for protection and fortification.  Fort Knox.

 We walked in to explore the fort.

 The stairs were steep and kind of dark.
 Cannon balls
 One of the 64 guns that were installed.

 The barbette or roof of the fort.
 The dock, you can see steps chiseled into the stone.

After a thorough exploration we headed up Highway 1 to Mt Desert Island and Acadia National Park. But first we had to stop for lunch which consisted of a lobster roll of course.

 There were a lot of places to pull out and take photographs.
 A huge cruise ship coming into Bar Harbor.
 Seeing the fog roll in was always fascinating.

 I loved the rock formations and was amazed at the white fuzzy moss or lichen that covered the rocks. 

We walked into the Abbe Museum in the park where their was supposed to be a lot of information about the Abenaki, but there really was not much.  A few dioramas, some pot sherds, arrowheads etc.


 Otter Cliff Rock Climbing area was one of my favorite places. 


 The day was ending so we headed to Brewer, Maine, and our hotel The Maine Coast Inn.  Of course we had to stop for dinner.  What is dinner in Maine without Lobster?

The next day we headed out into a misty, drizzly day, and I decided to take some of the less traveled routes.

We headed toward Pretty Marsh, past Seal cove and toward Bernard and Bass Cove.


We watched a ferry depart for Swans Island.  Then headed toward Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse.


We hiked down the path, and the fog really rolled in.

 We took another path which takes you down along the cliffs and boulder hopping to get a different perspective.
We then headed toward Bar Harbor so my mom could visit the Abbe Museum there.  Let's say I didn't get any pictures, the fog had burned off, it was warm and parking was impossible especially with the dog.  I have been told it is a really neat town, but I didn't get to experience it. 

After the museum visit we headed back into Acadia to Cadillac Summit.  It was beautiful and warm. 
Then the fog rolled in so quickly that we struggled to get back to the car it was so difficult to see.  We headed out of the park and back to our hotel to prepare for our departure the next day.






7 comments:

  1. I have a lot of ancestors from Maine and Massachusetts, so this has been fun seeing all your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live about 30 miles north of Boston and love seeing these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for more travel sharing! I'm hoping to get up to Maine on one of our future Boston visits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now your in my old neck of the woods. Glad you arrived safe and sound, and had a nice visit. New England is so pretty and there is so much history. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to Maine with hubby's parents for our 20th Anniversary (12 years ago). Lobster and blueberries the whole time. We went on a whale boat ride and to Acadia (loved the popovers at the restaurant).

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.