Wednesday, September 29, 2021

177 I Like Thursday Posts

Welcome to my 177th I Like Thursday post. Thank you LeeAnna for encouraging us to find things we like/love to share with others.  It is officially fall, we have had some beautiful days in the low 80's or mid 70's but lovely cool nights.  I noticed that the locust trees are starting to turn their beautiful yellow gold, the purple asters are blooming.  With those beautiful days comes a lot of work.

The last few heavy rainfalls I noticed that there was a drip sound.  I finally went and sought it out after we had one night that we received almost 4 inches of rain.  After taking down a partial wall in a closet I discovered the roof leak.  It was around an old wood stove pipe.  I put a bucket under it, cleaned up the water and was thankful that I didn't end up with a ceiling disaster in the living room, nor any mold.  Today I tackled caulking with silicone caulk around the stove pipe.  I know it is hard to tell looking at this very unflattering picture that one of my grandsons took of me, but the bottom of the lower windows are at least 8-10 feet up, so I am sitting about 30 feet above the ground.  

Now to wait for the next rainfall.  Hopefully my fix will work, we will see.  Keep my fingers crossed.  

We are taking the pool down this year and will be replacing the liner next spring.  While emptying and taking out screws I noticed this rather interesting aquatic pool denizen.  I think it is a dragonfly nymph. 

The boys wanted me to catch them so they could keep them.  Um I think not.  

A friend of mine in Sydney, Nova Scotia shared a picture of a plant in her yard.  I looked it up, and discovered it is called Red Turtlehead.  I went shopping and found a nursery so of course I had to add it to my yard.  Hopefully it will survive the winter.  

The Sedum is slowly getting planted, I love the lovely colors.

The Jerusalem Artichokes are blooming.  We laugh because they are very tall and the kitties play stalking lions, so walking near can be a scary proposition.  I will admit these spread like crazy, we are trying to decide should we dig some up and plant it in the field for next year.  Interestingly they are said to actually improve soil.  Maybe it would help the clay in the field.  

You can't tell but these are at least 5-8 feet tall.  They are actually a native sunflower, and are not really an artichoke.  

Then there are the frost asters.  We chuckle because some of the chickens actually hide in them. 

Some fun discoveries at the store.

These candles.  Dry Bones and Beetles, A Dash of Grave Dirt, and Feathers of Crow.  Hmmmm.

The the mummy fragrance melt warmer.  

Did you know they make sausage strips now?  Like bacon?  There is even Chorizo!  My daughter said they were OK. 

I love these pumpkins.

An Aqua glass pumpkin.
Blessed.

Count your Blessings.  

This is block 2.1 from the Stars over Bali Skies quilt.  I don't know what it was about this block, but I started out by cutting the star point blocks wrong, so went shopping in my stash.  I chose colors very close to what I had originally.  

I then discovered that all these strips which had been included in month 1 and month 2 needed to be cut into 2 1/2 inch squares.  It was a lot of strips, which kind of slowed me down.  I shared with my friend Dawn about how it took me hours to sew together the blocks into the rows.  Changing out fabrics, replaced some with others from my stash.  Then my sewing machine quit working, just needed a really good cleaning.  Went to replace the needle and could not locate my box of needles, anywhere, after tearing apart my sewing room, my travel case, my big sewing machine.  Finally I gave up and trudged upstairs to the sewing aerie and located a pack of needles.  

This is what 2 1/2 inches of 2 1/2 inch blocks look like.  

I got a couple of rows added to the Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds Afghan.

Thursday, September 30, 2021 is Orange Shirt Day, also known as the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.  It is a Canadian Statutory Holiday and National day of remembrance for the victims of the Canadian Indian Residential School System.  The US had residential schools also and the numbers are astounding.  

What happened at these schools has caused generations of trauma, but by acknowledgement the healing has began.  My great grandmother was part of the residential school system.  I like that the truth is finally coming out!

My books this week:

A Legacy of Murder by Connie Berry is the 2nd book in the Kate Hamilton series.  

Kate is visiting her daughter during the holidays in the village of Long Barston.  When visiting stately Finchley Hall, and learning about the Finchley Hoard, Kate is intrigued.  Later Kate discovers the body of one of the docents and Lady Barbara hired Kate to finish up the docents previous work. Kate discovers many things that do not seem to add up including an ancient painting and a missing ruby.  

The next 6 books are part of the Sweetfern Harbor Mystery series by Wendy Meadows.  I like the characters  of Brenda and Mac Rivers and their business Sheffield Bed and Breakfast.  There is a cast of supporting cast of characters also that play a big part in many of the books.



The next 3 books are part of the Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries which take place in London around 1811.  The author is CS Harris and I have enjoyed the intrigue so far.


Finally I reread Just Desserts by G. A McKevett a Savannah Reid Mystery.  Savannah is a detective on the San Carmelita police force.  When given a case regarding the death of a councilwoman's cheating spouse, Savannah finds herself soon without a job because she has stepped on some toes, but the written reason for her termination is because she is overweight. 

I found it interesting that this book that was originally written in 1995 seems to have been updated to reflect life currently with cell phones, the internet and google.  Perhaps that is why I don't remember this book from my previous reading in 2016.  

Finally I saw a video on Facebook and went searching on YouTube.  Meredith Woolnough is a fiber artist and her creations are very interesting. Using machine stitching embroidery and water soluble fabric.  


 


Thanks for stopping by, now head over to LeeAnna's at Not Afraid of Color and check out the other I Like Thursday posts! 





 






11 comments:

  1. Those pumpkins are cute. Hey I need roofwork done. My roof is lower. You for hire? Lol I hate when trying to sew and everything seems to go wrong. Ugh. Great likes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! My first thought was what are you doing on that roof? Be careful! Yikes! Interesting about the Jerusalem artichokes! They look like ordinary sunflowers to me. Enjoy your reading and I hope your block construction goes well this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a brave woman to climb up that high...yikes! Hopefully it will have been worth it and the leak was fixed. I love seeing all the Halloween decorations coming out. I can't buy them all or I'd run out of storage space, but I still have fun looking! I watched that video on FB, too. So interesting to see how she does it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved seeing your plants! I have turtlehead in my garden and love it! You are one brave lady climbing up on the roof!! Yikes! Hoping you have a safe and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some of those turtle heads in my garden as well. They are hardy and late blooming which is nice. Now seeing you up on the roof made me scared...that is too high for you! But I'm glad you are okay and got the jobs done. Nice block and knitting. I hope your weekend does not include heights!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that picture of you on the roof gives me the shivers! I do hope your fix took care of the problem. Love all your flowers! I had no idea the Jerusalem Artichokes grew that tall. That's a neat block for your stars quilt - pretty colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Colette! Kudos to you for getting up on that roof and fixing the leak!! There's no way you'd catch me doing that. My fingers are crossed for your fix to work!! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eek - two floors up on the roof. Good for you! Sausage strips - who knew? Pretty colors on that quilt block. Afghan is looking pretty. All good likes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed that you got up on your roof! I'd be too scared. I hope your roof is all fixed. Love your knitting and the block looks a bit complicated. Love all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're braver than I am for getting up on the roof, but then, I'm a few years older than you. I won't even get on the ladder to wash windows anymore. Did you know that the tubers of Jerusalem Artichokes are edible? It seems like Halloween is coming close to Christmas in terms of decorating. I like the look of your batik stars, even if you are having trouble with the blocks.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am having trouble breathing with you on that roof..... glad you fixed the problem. Love all of your pictures....always so fun to see

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.