Thursday, January 6, 2022

I Like Thursday #188

 Welcome to my 188th I Like Thursday post.  Each week LeeAnna of Not Afraid of Color encourages a group of bloggers to share things they have found that they like/love that uplifts them throughout the week.  Happy New Year!  I don't know about many people, but getting through the holidays I always feel like a huge sense of relief.  The winter solstice has occurred, and the days are slowly getting longer.  

The one thing I love are the piles of seed catalogs that arrive.  To sit and leaf through the pages dreaming of spring, summer, growing veggies, herbs, and fragrant flowers. 

Since I am not too sure what will be happening during the spring, summer and fall I am not too sure if I am going to plant much.  Perhaps a few tomatoes in pots, but not much else.  But it is tempting to fix the small tractor, learn how to attach the PTO (power take off) and till the garden area, perhaps plant some beets.  

COVID is taking its toll at work.  So far I have dodged it, but the more people out, the less people to do the work.  I have been really trying to use my time better so I get a little time to read, exercise, and sew.  

I got the 3 different sections of the Joy in the Journey quilt put together.  This is section 3.

Section 1 sewn together and section 2 laid out.

I have had some challenges with this quilt. I am looking forward to getting the 3 sections together in the next few days and then determining what I am going to do for borders.

I got a kick out of the Valentine's Day goodies for fur babies.

Puppy Cookies
A Pooch Pack Heart

Pupperoni with filet mignon.  

I am not too sure if I ever shared my salt lamp which I found in a sale bin.  It is supposed to be natural ionizers and help filter dust, mold, mildew and pet dander.  Interestingly enough it is near 2 heat registers and I will say that area seems to have a lot more dust accumulated, so much so that I dust at least a couple of times a week. 

I also like it, because when I nap for the couple of hours before work it gives the room a nice warm glow, but I can shut all the other lights off.  

I have shared the website Goodreads before, where you can track books you are reading, have read, or want to read.  If you have friends on the website, you can see what they are reading too.  I like that it asks you to set a goal and tells you how many books you read per year, and also throws some suggestions at you also.  Learning to use different tools in my arsenal has enabled me to read/listen to 328 books in 2021.  

Finally I have read a few books, most of them part of one series or another.  Recently I read Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch.  This is the 3rd book in the Rivers of London series and I think the reason why I mention this book is the last book I read in this series was almost 5 years ago, but the previous story stuck with me enough that when I picked up this book it all fell back into place.  

Peter Grant is a London constable, and a sorcerer's apprentice.  When a body is found in the London Underground near Baker street, the family members, a wealthy and powerful family from America demand answers.  

A new author I found which writes in a genre I enjoy is Mel Starr, and his book called Unquiet Bones.  Hugh of Singleton is the 4th son of a minor night.  He was educated as a clerk, and expected to take holy orders, but instead uses what small inheritance he has to travel to Paris to train as a surgeon.  Upon his return to Oxford a local lord asks Hugh to track the killer of a girl whose body was found in the castle cesspool.  

Thanks for stopping by, now head over to Not Afraid of Color and check out the other I Like Thursday posts. 




7 comments:

  1. My husband does the same with his golf catalogues as you do with seed catalogues - plan and dream for the spring weather! I hope wherever you land, there's room to garden. The Journey quilt is coming together! I love those colors together. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colette! I'm so glad to hear that you've been able to avoid the virus, which is amazing in a retail setting. It seems so early to have Valentine Day products out already but it's only about five weeks away. I set a more realistic goal in Goodreads for this year. Last year, it defaulted to 12 books! I always appreciate your book selections - thank you for sharing. Happy Thursday! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors in your quilt. Yay for seeds! I can't wait to start planting mine. Wowza - I thought I was doing well with 50 books a year. You are a seriously voracious reader!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt. I lived vicariously t h ru you while making I t

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt looks beautiful...love all the colors! Covid hit all of my family during Christmas. It was no fun! I thought we'd managed to avoid getting it, but the new Omnicron is really contagious. We had one of those salt rocks and didn't think it worked. Maybe it did and I just didn't know it. I hope your plans to move are still on track and not too overwhelming. Take care and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen those salt lamps but didn't really know the value of them. It seems like something I should have here but Tony just told me we have a special filter in the house for radon, etc. Anyway, it sounds cozy. You have a good eye for putting colours together as your Journey is so pretty. Love those doggy treats. Meanwhile, I'm glad you are enjoying your time away from work and keeping healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe Valentine's Day stuff is already out! Your quilt looks great! I hope you stay healthy. It seems everyone is getting sick.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.