Wednesday, February 16, 2022

I Like Thursday #194

 Welcome to my 194th I Like Thursday post.  Each week a handful of bloggers share things throughout the week that they have discovered that they like/love.  LeeAnna of Not Afraid of Color hosts each week.  

I got in a wee bit of sewing the past couple of days.  I finished the binding on a quilt called Covered in Truth.  I am donating it to church.  This was a kit I purchased, and the directions were not great, and the measurements were off, a lot.

Of course while I was trying to take a picture Bobbin had to help.  

I also finished 2 quilts and started a 3rd for church.  They do simple squares, then a pillowcase turn.  

I have been trying to be good about buying fabric and saw some and broke down and had to have it.  I have been trying to stick to the rule that any purchases will be going toward stash to work on projects, and I am really trying to not start anything really new.  It doesn't mean that I can't pick up a few patterns here or there, but they have to be made from stash unless I am in need of a background.

I love the sewing theme with the machines, scissors, thread, cats, and even some tea pots.   I loved the fun bright and whimsical prints.

What I loved about the package when it was delivered was the bag it came in.

 I am still working on the gray string piecing for Bonnie Hunter's On Grassy Creek from 2020/2021.  I keep pulling gray scraps, but I really feel like I am not getting far.  While I grabbed some gray fabrics from stash, before cutting it up for the string piecing I cut enough to work on my old fancy fox quilt which I started as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in 2016.  I wrote down all the colors for the past few years RSC so I can pick up and start working again on the blocks.

I have had this hankering to make scones.  I have no real reason why.  I make them at work all the time, and frankly, the ones I make don't really appeal to me.  They are dense and kind of crummy and we put glaze on them.  I have been trying cream scones which are very tender.  This week I tried cranberry orange scones.

They had a glaze of powdered sugar, fresh squeezed orange juice, a little orange peel, and a dash of sea salt.  They were flaky, and tender.  Definitely not on my diet though.

My books for the week, most are series.  Some I have read recently, some a while back.  I think I would like to go back and reread the 1st book in the Kate Shugak mysteries.  I find that a lot of books I read in 2017 I cannot remember, probably due to widow's fog.

A Fatal Thaw by Dana Stabenow which is the 2nd book in the Kate Shugak Mysteries.  Kate is an Aleut living at her father's homestead in the middle of a national park.  Nearby a shooter goes on a rampage killing 9 people.  But soon it is discovered one of the 9 was not killed by the shooter but someone else.  Kate is tasked with finding who killed victim 9, and there are many suspects in the tiny community nearby. 

B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton.  I think this book was much better than the first book.  Since it was much improved I will read the next in the series. 
Caught Bread Handed by Ellie Alexander is the 4th book in the Bakeshop Mysteries which take place in Ashland, Oregon.
One Potato, Two Potato, Dead by Lynn Cahoon is the 3rd book in the Farm-to-Fork Mysteries which take place in Idaho. 
I loved the movie Practical Magic which was released in 1998.  Practical Magic was written by Alice Hoffman and is a tale of the Owen sisters. 

 Now head over to LeeAnna's and check out the other I Like Thursday posts. 

 




10 comments:

  1. I LOVED practical magic... how moody was that! Also coveting your new fabric and wanting a scone while I'm here. Scritches to bobbin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sewing themed fabric! I made a cover for my longarm using some. I'm trying not to buy fabric too. It's so hard! Your scones look delicious. I can almost taste them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pretty quilt for your church! It's too bad the directions weren't very good, but looks like you made it work. The new fabric is cute, too. The cranberry scones sound yummy! That's something I haven't tried making in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh - lots of good stuff. Scones look great. That fabric is cute. And the quilt looks great in spite of the crummy instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool fabric and those scones look yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quilts and fabric and scones, oh my! You are so busy! I’ve never made scones! Friends think I need to bring treats to our gathering next Wednesday, cause it’s my birthday! Maybe I should look up a recipe!
    I might have to check out that book, Caught Bread Handed! I know right where Ashland Oregon is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Colette! I'm glad you enjoyed "B" more than "A". They do get much better - she gets more comfortable in the characters, I think! Her neighbor/landlord is a gem. Needing backing for a quilt top is sometimes a necessary purchase, I think. How is sweet Bobbin? I hope you are both doing well. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to have a large quilt finish and how kind you are to donate it. I know what you mean about trying to keep tabs on the buying of more fabric. But you are right, what you bought there is very cute and I could think of things you could make from it. I make scones often as I sometimes get a longing for a treat like that. They are denser sometimes and fluffier sometimes. Perhaps I handle the dough too much at times. I eat it all, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a beautiful quilt for your church! I've never made scones but I love to eat them. Yours look yummy! The fox blocks is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool quilt, Siouxzq. A lot of comfort and love shining through. The recipients will be so happy, methinks. I like rereading favorite series, too. Have you ever read the Miss Zukas series by Jo Dereske?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.