Thursday, April 13, 2017

Cathartic Sewing

ca·thar·tic
kəˈTHärdik/
adjective
adjective: cathartic
  1. 1.
    providing psychological relief through the open expression of strong emotions; causing catharsis.

    "crying is a cathartic release"

Sewing has been a challenge as of late, the aunt, my wounded heart, all make doing things so difficult.  I had some blocks to make for quilt guild (3) and I will admit that it took me about 2 weeks to make those blocks.  But I needed to get them done. 

 This is the March block.  The guild fabric was the shamrock print, I had to add a medium or dark green.  

This is the April block.  The guild fabric was the light and you were to use two complementary blue fabrics.  At least this one will be turned in on time.  I hope.

I also had my bag lady quilt block to get done.  Yes I finally had time to sew it Thursday morning so it will be ready to be turned in to quilt guild tonight. 
Sewing is very cathartic.  While I worry about my cutting because my mind wanders,  once I get the cutting done, I can throw together a block pretty quickly.  The hum of my machine soothes me, and sewing on the little featherweight machine that Jeff bought me as an "anniversary" gift--to celebrate our 1st year we knew each other and being together,  brings smiles.

I was reading some blogs when I had a free moment and  I saw this really cute quilt made by Designs By Sarah J.  She had a line of fabric out called Dandy Days by Marcus Fabrics.  When I saw it I knew I had to have some.

I love the colors, and the text fabric with its buttery yellow background was a balm to my soul.  While I may not be doing the QAL, I will make sure I save the instructions so that when I am ready I will be able to make the quilt. 


















7 comments:

  1. love your fabric acquisition and those blocks are sweet. also glad to hear you are going to guild. you need YOU time. great job my friend!
    have a nice Easter.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blocks--happy to hear you got to go to the guild and are finding time to sew once more; I like that creamy background too... Hoping you have a wonderful Easter...hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blocks and pretty new fabrics, those big flowers and butterflies in the qal are very pretty. Love the It is Well With My Soul quote in the texty piece, has me humming the hymn. Sweetwater has an Amazing Grace texty print that fell into my cart last week. Prayers continue for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially like the third block. I thing the colors and their placement makes it appeal to me the most. Funny now things strike your fancy. I like the fabric you got for the quilt pattern, especially the text one. I like it's theme too. I like a lot of text fabrics and have a little collection of them. I probably would have picked up some of the Amazing Grace fabric that Kris found if I had seen it. I think of you often, and for me a thought is a prayer. Best wishes. I suspect this may be a hard weekend for you, but loving thoughts will get you through.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bag lady block....great colours. Having some Irish in me, I automatically like the the first block. The text buttery yellow fabric is beautiful, I will be looking for that one. Best thoughts come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure it has felt good to get back to some sewing. Your blocks are so pretty and your new fabrics are just wonderful.

    Happy Easter, Colette.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blocks. Hope guild was fun. I have guild meeting next Thursday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.