Thursday, February 1, 2018

A Getaway and Fiber Acquisition Day 1

I have been teasing about my get away for a few days and so I thought I would share my finds.  I left Friday morning for wherever the wind took me....OK truly I had a wee bit of a plan. 

My first destination was The Doormouse in Kansas, Ohio is about 73 miles away.  No I didn't take pictures in the shops.  But I will say cute shop, according to the rumors I hear they are going out of business due to health issues, and they were trying to get rid of fabric.  Honestly I didn't see that they were trying to get rid of much.  I will say if there is something you can't find anywhere else...you just might find it here.  I was a wee bit overwhelmed to say the least.  The shelves are 3 bolts high and packed, the aisles are narrow and their are bolts 3-4 bolts deep on the floor standing on end.  If you are curious google the store and you will see pictures to understand.  Very nice people that run the shop though.  If you are looking for Civil War, Reproductions, feed sacks, and everything else they have a big selection.  They even had a portion of a loft with just flannels. 

I bought 2 patterns.  The one with the red truck and the Christmas tree, and the other truck one which is an Amy Bradley.  I loved it.  More on the other pattern later.

I found chicken fabric, and a great black on white.  You can never have too much of that.

A Valentine's day print a yellow which looks like roses, an orange bubble by Patrick Lose and a manly print with tools.  I bought about 12 yards of fabric at the shop. 

My next destination was Country Fabrics in Shiloh, Ohio which was about 55 miles away and a little over an hour, because you are on some back country roads, but it was a beautiful sunny day, and so it was nice to be out.

Country Fabrics has many Mennonite and Amish ladies working there.  Many bolts of fabric, their website claims over 10,000.  The prices are excellent--Moda, Timeless Treasures and many others for about $8.90 a yard.  I purchased the Quiltworx pattern Summer Solstice on sale. 

I bought about 6 yards of fabric.  The green on the far right is part of the Reclaimed West by Timeless Treasures which was out a few years ago. 

They also had some great prices on wool so I bought these 3 pieces. 

My next destination was Gramma Fannie's in Berlin, Ohio another 62 miles away and about 1 1/2 hours on twisty turny back roads, and beware the horse and buggies.  Gramma Fannie's had announced they were closing.  Little did I know the day I got there that they were closing the next day.  There was some fabric lines that had just been released, and still quite a bit.  The prices were supposed to be 50% off.
 
I bought a couple of yards of the red hounds tooth looking fabric, some clouds, about yards of the batik, a couple of yards of the birch trees, and of course all of the red chicken wire.

A fun orange print, an ombre scroll in orange (I love that fabric) the fun green daisy dots, and some gorgeous sunflowers. 

Some cute birds with stocking caps, and ice skates, chiil peppers, chickens and a 30's print with airplanes. 

Check out the super cute selvedge on the chili peppers.  Be still my heart.  Cactus!

And the chicken print had chicken selvedges!  SQEE!

Aren't these just too cute, but manly still?

I cleaned off the bolts of the Bonnie and Camille.  OK I didn't take quite all of it, there were a couple of younger ladies that were looking for some, and so I shared a yard of each with them.  I can't even tell you how many yards of fabric I purchased, but I do know that I probably ended up with over 50 yards of fabric and when I paid I only ended up spending about $260.  I think I got it at 75% off not 50%.

Now Berlin has a couple of other quilt shops, but I didn't go to them.  There is Lone Star--Jeff and I went there a couple of years ago.  Helping Hands which is a shop I don't think I have been in before even though I have been to the area several times.  Miller's Dry Goods near Charm which is so fun.  There is also Zinck's which is another one that I have never been too.  Over the past 10 years I will say from my experience Berlin has become very touristy I would call it Shipshewana, South.  :D  They are trying to compete, and become a destination. 

My next stop was Somewhere Sewing which is in Millersburg, Ohio.  I like the couple that run the shop they are very sweet. 

I bought some more manly prints.  Farms with barns and windmills, Owls, Indian Motorcycles, and Elk.  I also bought some blenders for me.

Some more Patric Lose bubbles, and a yellow batik.  They have recently built a retreat center, and she as some big name teachers coming in soon....one being Pat Sloan. 

By the time I finished at Somewhere Sewing it was almost 5 pm, and time to find a room for the night.  I decided to try the Millersburg Hotel, you look at my previous post to see pictures of it. 

I will leave you with one of my favorite things in the hotel. 













11 comments:

  1. you sure did some damage in your wake LOL great fabric acquisitions. cant wait to see how you use them

    ReplyDelete
  2. O my, those shops were happy to have you blow in, my friend :) Love the lil planes. I have been to the Doormouse, seems that I had heard rumors before of them closing. The rest of those shops are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shop hopping and how I wish you could have taken me with you! I just love that hotel room and imagine a quilting room too. So much fabric to get cracking with now. I have to check out that Wildlife BOM...sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! You really made some amazing finds. With all that fabric, you'll never have to go to another fabric store again...hahahaha...not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous! I love your fabric choices, and the cow, and I always buy cloud fabric since I like landscapes. A good sky fabric is forever. What a fun time my friend. I'm so glad you had a spree

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great fabrics. At the moment, I'm pretty much just getting blenders, so that I can use up some of my fabrics. I love all the cute selvedges that are coming out now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you rent a U-Haul to get all that fabric home, lol. Great shop hopping. Happy you found a lot that you liked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must have had such a great time shopping. That first shop does sound a bit overwhelming. We have a shop near us that claims to have over 10,000 fabrics and I get that feeling when I enter, but it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome quilt shop hop and yummy fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome quilt shop hop and yummy fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh so love all of your fabrics and the cute cute chicken and cactcus....love it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.