Wednesday, October 2, 2019

I Like Thursday #77

Welcome to my 77th I Like Thursday post.  Every week LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color encourages us to write a positive post with a list of things that we like during the week.

I was paper piecing for a challenge quilt for guild and kept making mistakes and realized wow it is Wednesday, and almost 10 pm and I can't think of anything that I liked this week. (Plus it is perhaps time to stop for the night, I can start fresh tomorrow due to all of my mistakes).  Then I checked my phone.

I can be such a girl at times but I like it when I get a text from someone that says hey I am thinking of you or I miss you.  Yep I had a text from John and it made me smile. 

I then looked at my pictures on my phone and wow I had been snapping away with things I liked!  I like it when I do something almost as second nature, like taking pictures of things during the week to put in an I Like Thursday post!

There are many plants that need to be planted in the fall.  Butterfly bushes, hydrangeas, sedum, just to name a few.  So I attacked the thistle and pig weed (also called Amaranth) to clear out space to plant.  I like a huge cart full of weeds.  It feels like a ginormous accomplishment.

Yes I still have more to weed, but I did manage to get my plants planted.  Right now we have rain in the forecast for a day or two so the weeds will wait.

While weeding I looked up and spied something on my mailbox.  Remember when I said I have things that appear in my yard?  Somehow my mailbox acquired a sign. 

Not that I play in or even near the road.

Walking down the driveway I played tag with this guy.

There are a few flowers blooming in my yard still.  I will call it He, flitted back and forth in front of me as I was walking down the driveway the other day.  I pulled out my camera and then of course he got camera shy. 

I like Fat Quarter Bingo at a LQS called Textile in Milan, Michigan....not to be confused with Italy, no I am not gadding about more.  For $26 you get 6 fat quarters.  Each round to buy in you put in a fat quarter.  If you Bingo you get 10 fat quarters, they usually have 2 bundles of 10 fat quarters per bingo game and a consolation prize of 2 for the 3rd Bingo during a game.  I won a round, and then also got a 3rd so I came home with 12 Fat Quarters!

The Life is Sweet Bakery and Cafe has a back room where the Fat Quarter Bingo is held.  They have awesome grilled cheese sandwich sticks, as well as yummy desserts.  I also love their decor.

Every bakery needs a coat rack made of rolling pins!

I love this settee in the bakery while the seat pillow is a wee bit worse for wear, the tufted aqua velvet back, and the white paint on the ornate carving is swoon worthy. 

A quick trip to the grocery store for bread, coffee creamer, and glue sticks I spied this fall pug towel.

Doesn't he look so sophisticated?

My mom set me this pictures stating her birthday was coming and she thought I should make her a birthday cake like this with 76 pieces to match her upcoming age.  She said that I could just use my stash.

My comment was 76 fat quarters do you know how expensive that would be?  My mom insists that these have to be half yards.  (insert rolling eyes emoji).  I shared on Facebook and it has elicited quite the commentary.  LOL

Finally I had heard of a book a while back but could not locate it.  Could be that I could not spell the title correctly, but I found it at the local library!

Fly fishing has always looked so intriguing to me.  There is an art and science to it.  My brother used to tie flies.  Fly fishing, a handsome artist and fly fisherman, a beautiful chanteuse, a death, gorgeous Montana rivers and landscape what isn't there to love?

Now head over to LeeAnna's to check out the other I Like Thursday posts.






17 comments:

  1. Lovely likes this week--we haven't seen many butterflies this year here...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colette! Aww, you shared your smile at John's text with us. I'm smiling, too. He's a keeper. I love your mailbox . . . and who would have added the sign?! Someone you know, you road-player, you. Goodness, that FQ Bingo sounds like fun and congrats on winning! That sweet pug reading a book is so darn cute too. I don't have any friends who have pugs or I'd look for that for them. I would think The Royal Wulff would have something to do with dogs unless you see the fly on the cover. HAHA! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely found lots of things to like this week, Colette! I love the sign on your mailbox, and so wonderful to see the butterfly in your yard, too. I think it's a monarch - do you? The fat quarter bingo sounds like fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed out loud at your mother's insistence that her fabric cake have half yards instead of fat quarters!! Easier on the tummy than cake, but worse for the wallet! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a terrific load of weeds! What an accomplishment. Love the mailbox and its sign. Fat quarter bingo sounds like fun. Love that towel. Wow, that would be quite a cake of fat quarters! Oof! I'm sure the Facebook crowd would get a kick out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so many things to like, Colette, always. Love your mothers' wish for a birthday cake...that's a winner. I've never thought of fly fishing other than know it to involve skill if tying your own flies which some find quite a hobby.
    I have to get in the garden tomorrow...last chance before we have overnight frost. I have a bunch of things to replant in pots to bring in the house. You have worked hard on your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wheelbarrow full is a satisfying feat. Cute pug towel.and your Mom is so smart. I am going to tell hubs the same for my birthday lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s a lot of wonderful 'likes'! What a great birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great likes! Love the bakery photos! Your mom cracks me up--Half YARDS!!! LOL! Wonderful and fun post! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You came up with some great likes this week. I love the rolling pin rack and the birthday cake. My birthday is coming up and I think I am going to request that kind of cake. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I'm going to have to check out that book, sounds like a fun read! I wouldn't mind a birthday cake like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Colette! Great list... sorry to be so late

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that birthday cake and it's no calories! The bakery looks like the cutest place. Love the pug towel! I think fly fishing is a real skill that has to be learned. So fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sign on your mailbox. I made an ice cream Sunday for a friends 75th Birthday. I had lots of her other friends contribute fat quarters to the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had LOTS of good stuff this week!! I too struggle with paper piecing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness-so many fun likes!! Love your mailbox. Your mom is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting post and you managed to find lots of things to like this week. My garden cart looks just like yours at the moment - full of weeds and waiting to be emptied. Your letterbox is so much fun! Hope you had better success with the paper piecing the next day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.