Thursday, April 1, 2021

I Like Thursday #154

 Whew a wee bit late today.  Welcome to my 154th I Like Thursday post.  Thank you LeeAnna for encouraging us to find things that we like, love during the week to share with others to throw kindness, and uplift others.

I have been going into work at midnight and getting off by 8:30 am.  The trouble is, while most people are sleeping, I am working, and there are times I need to sleep during the day.  I always think of this poem by Robert Louis Stevenson:

Bed in Summer

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

The upside to the crazy schedule is that I can enjoy the beautiful weather we have had.  The beautiful weather translates to lovely growing things. 

 
Daffodils raising their sunny head and exploding throughout the flower beds!  (Those flower beds really need to be cleaned up!)

The promise of tulips.  
 
Confession time....after Jeff and the great aunt died, I fell off the rails in many ways.  I have been really working hard at cleaning up my house, choosing what to keep, what to donate(this is easy).  On top of that I have accumulated enough fabric to open up my own fabric store, either through purchases or what others have given me.  I am very slowly getting it folded, or cut up and organized.  
 
One such task is a garbage bag full of reproduction feedsack, 20's, 30's fabrics.  Many pieces had chunks taken out of them, looking at them I decided what I would make, and started cutting them into 2 1/2 inch by 20 inch strips.  I ended up with a pile of  2 1/2 inch strips which were shorter, some 2 inch strips, 1 1/2 inch strips and anything smaller was thrown into a string bin.  I swear that the bag is bottomless.  I will take out 4 or 5 pieces, starch and iron and place by my cutting table.  When I go to cut something while sewing I will cut up some of those pieces too.  The shoebox below is just the 2 1/2 inch by 20 inch strips.  It is running over already and I have much more to cut!

Near my cutting table I also have an apple box full of scraps from previous projects.  Those too are getting trimmed into a scrap system.  I think just cleaning up my scraps could be a full time job for years.  Sigh!😞

I have managed a wee bit of sewing.  

Little block 3.


These blocks are so fun to make and I enjoy choosing the fabrics.  

Last week I had 2 days off in a row.  Thursday was my "cheat day" from my normal healthy eating.  Bobbin and I ordered and picked up deep dish pizza.

Since I was off for 2 days in a row, and the weather was beautiful the grandsons wanted to have a fire.  Then the rain started.  Initially it was a light drizzle, but we stayed, and roasted marshmallows, and made s'mores, chatted, laughed and told stories--the kids planned it since it was my cheat day and they thought I needed a treat.  Then the rain started a wee bit heavier, yet we stayed.  Finally it was time to call it a night and we found this guy nearby us.  

There are random holes throughout the property.  Jeff used to tell me they were crawdad holes.  I would look at him and think, "Seriously there is no water for hundreds of feet."  But when it rains hard here they are.  Since our water table is so high I think they live just a foot or two below ground and when it rains hard they emerge. 

Once inside a doozy of a thunderstorm came through, dumping a lot of rain in a short time.

Here you can see just how much precipitation fell.  

Trying to keep up my healthy eating regime I have learned to change up recipes to make them healthier, but also another change is to make smaller portions.  I love my small ramekins that I purchased recently.  I could make up 4 from my recipe.  Perfect portion for a meal, and the rest could be put in the fridge for the next day or even frozen.


I am grateful that while I am sewing, cutting or working out many times I can listen to a book while doing those tasks, so at least I get some entertainment or things to make the think.

My book reads for the week.  

I had ready Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen a few years ago. I am surprised at how much literature is out there which Jane Austen plays a role, such as The Jane Austen Society, The Jane Austen Book Club, Pride, Prejudice, and Poison just to name a few.  A whole genre' of its own.  

I am sure most of us know the story of Emma who is always matchmaking.  

The next book I read was The Lady Vanished by Gretta Mulrooney.  It is the first book in the Tyrone Swift series.  Tyrone is a retire police officer that has opened his own detective agency.  He inherited a house from an aunt, and sublets part to an elderly gentleman.  Tyrone is hired to locate Florence Davenport's step mother that has gone missing. 

Many intriguing characters and some main characters that you thoroughly enjoy.

Finally my third book I read this past week was The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.  I will admit that initially I didn't like the character Nora Seed.  While in life there are circumstances that can be a wee bit out of our control, many are controlled by our choices.  Unfortunately Nora has had more than her share, and the final straw is the death of her cat Voltaire, that she thinks has been hit and killed by a car.  At that time Nora chooses to take her own life.  But instead of death she ends up in the Midnight Library with the librarian from her youth.  I like this write up:

Somewhere out beyond the edge of the universe there is a library that contains an infinite number of books, each one the story of another reality. One tells the story of your life as it is, along with another book for the other life you could have lived if you had made a different choice at any point in your life. While we all wonder how our lives might have been, what if you had the chance to go to the library and see for yourself? Would any of these other lives truly be better?

While there are a plethora of regrets through our life, if we chose differently would it really make our life better?  

Finally I want to apologize, with my schedule, trying to eat healthy, and exercise I don't always get a chance to read and comment on everyone's blog weekly.  In fact many times my reading is spread out through several days, and sometimes I read, but do not comment, or I play catch up reading a couple of posts from a blogger at a time and commenting.  I do miss having the time to read blog hops.  :(

I used to laugh and say those that stay fit, at least many that I know, usually spend more time at the gym than they do at anything else during their free time.  While I do not go to the gym (yet) I will admit that yes; trying to get at least 10,000 steps a day in, do the joint workouts and other strengthening exercises in during my day takes out a huge chunk, almost 2 hours.  

Now head over to LeeAnna's at Not Afraid of Color and check out the other I Like Thursday posts. 






12 comments:

  1. Your daffodils are gorgeous, Colette! I'm sooo looking forward to seeing mine bloom. Working nights and sleeping during the day can be hard - hope you're doing okay with that schedule. Good for you, working on your diet and fitness! I try to get 10,000 steps a day, too, and really enjoy the walking. I bet your job comes with lots of steps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post! Love the poem and your daffodils! That was interesting about the crawdads. I’m not a fan, but it was fun to know that! What size are your individual ramekins I need to get some of those for Mr. Busy and myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Colette! I wonder why they have you working those hours? Are you a baking fool during that time? The daffodils and almost-tulips look so pretty and promising. You don't need to apologize for not having enough time for blog visits. Sometime just gives us other priorities and getting yourself in order has to take the top spot. {{Hugs}} I hope you are able to adjust to the new hours. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those happy daffodils! That was a lot of rain! Can you send some our way?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The little blocks are cute. The pizza looks delicious! The Midnight Library looks interesting. Portion control... so important and so hard to do sometimes! Looks like a good week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even imagine what you went through after Jeff died. It's understandable that it sent you "off the rails." You've been amazing at what you've accomplished since then. You're a wonder woman in my eyes! Fabric is such a hard thing to control and organize. Just when I think I have it organized, new fabric appears or I have to dig through it for the perfect shade of something. Your flowers are beautiful and that crawdad is big!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it would be hard to work nights and have to sleep during the day. Your daffodils look great. Mine have been flatten by the snow today. It was 70 on Tuesday and snow today. I seen the Midnight Library recommended in several places and have put it on my to read list.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw your daffodils are out more than mine.they remind me of Jacky. I never knew about crawdads.you always teach us something fun. Yes organuzing stash yields a lot. Those bags we bought at quilt show seem to be bottomless for sure. Great post. We need healthiwr for ourselves.mentally and physically. Happy Easter girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great likes! Crawdaddys! Wow! I'm drowning in scraps too but I'm so inspired by you that I may have to work on that soon! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am fighting a losing battle with scraps to

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm dying to read The Midnight Library. I have too many scraps too. I think they multiply all by themselves. Love your daffodils. I'm waiting for a few blossoms in my yard but nothing so far. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son did the overnight shift at Meijer for a long time. It was hard on all of us (having to tiptoe around the house during the day, and not much cleaning happened). Making such tiny blocks won't use up those scraps (lucky you to get the 30's repro's). I read while I ride my exercise bike. I'm further behind than you, since I stopped reading blogs for 6 weeks (long story), and I'm trying to get caught up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.