Thursday, April 29, 2021

I Made Something

 I have not really finished much this year.  But today I finally made something.  I was inspired by Carla of Creatin' In the Sticks recent blog hop "In the Kitchen Stitchin'."  

One of the creators made a dish drying mat.  I think that same creator had made one in a previous blog hop, and at that time I was inspired.  I just hadn't done anything with the idea, but I had amassed the supplies.  

A few months ago I created this embroidery.  

I then remember that the creator of the blog hop mentioned there were some tutorials on YouTube, so I went off to look for the video.  I watched the one by Shabby Fabrics.  

It was amazing how fast this went together.  I think it took me less than an hour!  I used the embroidery piece, 2 1/2 inch strips, and bosal made specifically for drying mats.  I did see some YouTube videos where they used inexpensive drying mats from the dollar store. 

It would fit perfectly in the area where I place freshly washed eggs to dry, along with my egg skelter.  Yep that is one weeks worth of eggs, which ended up being approximately 7 dozen eggs.  

Perfect, and I am so please with how well it turned out.  Many of the fabrics were from the garbage bag of 30's fabrics that I was given a while back.  I have been working at cutting it up recently into 2 1/2 inch strips.  

I have been putting it into a pretty big shoe box.  I had added some Bella Solids to match into the mix.  I still have a few more to cut up, but the bag is empty, and all the fabrics are ironed and waiting to be cut.  

My plan is to make a Scrappy Trips quilt from these scraps, many were partial fat quarters.  Yep I just created at least one new project for myself cutting up these scraps. 





7 comments:

  1. Love those chickens. Sooooo adorable. Cute little gift. Who doesnt love chicken butts. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those chickens, too! What a great mat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really just an adorable finish on this one!! Happy to hear that you got to sew a bit...hope your weekend will be restful hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the chickens! This is such a fun and practical project. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chicken embroidery is awesome and adding it to a drying mat is a great idea. Wow! That's a lot of eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute drying mat. Have fun with your new project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your drying mat - did you make it as a standard quilt or has it got some different materials in it for drying? That's a great bunch of eggs - you've obviously got more hens than I have!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.