Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Its My Turn For the Virtual Cookie Exchange

I was a little reticent to join the Virtual Cookie Exchange Blog Hop.  Being diagnosed as pre-diabetic is a challenge on a daily basis.  There are some things I have learned in just a very short time.  Bread is really bad for me,especially the way that it metabolizes.  I can  have a little sugar occasionally and it isn't as bad as having a piece of bread.  I drink a lot of water-at least 12 cups a day, and I have discovered that I have one cheat meal a week.  That way I do not feel like I am being penalized.

I haven't had a chance to try changing up my favorite cookie recipe yet, but I am going to try a new recipe soon using Splenda.  Thanksgiving instead of making a sweet potato casserole, we made a butternut squash casserole, very little sugar, it was actually sweetened with pineapple and it was very yummy! 

 My absolute favorite cookie for the holidays is what we call Crown Jewel Cookies.


Crown Jewel Cookies

Dough
1 Cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Egg white mixture
 3 egg whites
2 TBS water

About 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
                                                                          Raspberry Jam



Mix  first 7 ingredients and chill dough.  You can roll them into rolls before chilling if you would like.  
                                                            After chilled roll into 1 inch ball.
 
Drop cookies into egg white mixture, then roll in finely chopped walnuts.  Place on cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.  Bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes.  Remove from oven.

Dent cookie, and fill with raspberry jam.  Return to oven and bake an additional 4-5 minutes.   

The only change I made this year was that I used a seedless, no sugar added fruit preserve.  

This is a nice cookie, they are not overly sweet, and they are so pretty.
We decided to do very little decorating this year.  It is not our "year" for Christmas.  But I did have to drag out my Jingle Jolly Table Runner which I finished a couple of months ago.  

The fabrics make me smile, and I am very pleased with the quilting which is called string of lights from Leah Day.


Go visit the rest of these great bloggers to see what they are cookimg up!

December 2
                                                      Karen at Sugar Free Quilted Designs

And in case you missed the first day.

DECEMBER 1
                                                            Deonn at 3rd Degree Bakery

And the rest of the bloggers. 

December 3
December 4
Carol at Just Let Me Quilt

Thanks Carol at  Just Let Me Quilt for organizing this wonderful hop!

22 comments:

  1. This sounds very good! I did not do very much decorating this year either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only do they sound delicious, but they look beautiful. Great idea to cut down on the sugar with no sugar fruit preserve. I love that string of lights quilting! Thanks for sharing your recipe and playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cookie recipe! I will have to check all the other blogs too. Your table runner is very festive! I have not decorated for Christmas the last four years and won't this year either. I will still do Christmas baking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! You have a whole new avenue to explore, finding new recipes! Make it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cookies look dee-lish! And I love the "quilty treat" too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy. We have diabetics in our family, so we have to be careful with sugar too. Merry Xmas, your cookies are on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! These look so good--and not too sweet. Nuts make most things better and help you feel like you don't need the sweet. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And now I want the pineapple squash recipe, that sounds good :) I think these cookies are so pretty...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not only do your cookies look yummy, but they are a very pretty cookie. Looks like a great cookie to exchange. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound wonderful and are so pretty! Thanks for sharing and have a very Merry Christmas! Good luck with your new eating life-style.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cookies look yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an especially hard time of year to cut back on sugar, so thanks for sharing this recipe! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound really good. We are all trying to be so careful with our sweets - especially at this time of the year. Your runner looks so pretty and festive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound yummy. My goodness I keep adding more cookies to my list of ones to try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They sound wonderful and look picture perfect. And your quilted holiday piece is a terrific backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so inspired by your attitude about changing how you eat. I am trying to cut out sugar as well and I am stunned by the number of items that have sugar in the first three ingredients! Your cookies looks amazing and I am taking the recipe with me to California for Christmas. My son's fiance is a pastry chef and I know she wold love to see this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love your runner and those cookies look festive. may have to give them a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh - another cookies that reminds me of my grandma! I don't think I'm going to get anything done this weekend other than trying out all of these recipes :) Love your happy quilts too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those look so yummy and very nice on your pretty table runner !

    ReplyDelete
  20. They do look like little jewels. And I bet they taste as good as they look. Thanks for sharing. Hang in there in your struggle to cut back. I know how hard it is.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.