Monday, August 3, 2015

Weekend Grind

My daughter called Friday, she wasn't feeling well so she was not going to go to work.  That meant that I had a three day weekend.

Friday I finished a pillowcase for a birthday gift for the grand daughter.
Love the Hello Kitty skeleton.  I had purchased two of these fabrics while on vacation.  I wanted a dark purple to match the bows on skeleton kitty.  I looked at Dh and told him I needed to go to the fabric store.  He asked don't you  have any fabric that you can use in that room?  I told him no, and he just shook his head.  I was getting ready to go out when the youngest daughter called.  She needed to have her oil change, which meant that there would be kids running around the house, so my trip was cancelled.  I showed DH black, and he wasn't really thrilled with it, but it kind of grew on me, so no trip to the fabric store.

I also started working on one of the Row by Rows which I purchased in Wyoming.
This row was from The Quilter's Fix in Sheridan, Wyoming.  I read the directions and started cutting.  I love how the row went together, and the colors.
But you trimmed a lot off.
This was my finished row which I completed on Saturday.
I actually pulled one fabric out of my stash to use for the center square.  We spent the majority of the day grocery shopping, running errands and spending time with the MIL.  I did wander to a quilt shop called Bits & Pieces in Wayne, Michigan.

Sunday was warmer than they said it was going to be.  I decided to pull out some UFO's to work on.

I have this double wedding ring kit which I had problems sewing together.  I watched a couple of videos and I used the tips.

I measured to double check that my seams were a scant 1/4 inch.  I got one melon put together.  I saved the videos so I know where to go when I am ready to work on it some more.

I then pulled out an old BOM that I had put aside.
I loved the quilt, but the directions were not my favorite.  I do not like when you have to cut 5/8 inch or 7/8 inch portions of blocks.  I spent most of the day cutting and sewing just this small section which was step 7 of the blocks.
I then decided that it was time to pull out my quilt that I finished  quilting last month, and trim and square up.

I have threads to bury, and have to figure out how to fix a few skipped stitches, but at least it is squared up and trimmed.

I then decided to pull out my BOM from my online quilting group and make the block that I had chosen.  Oh boy what a doozy.  It is called radiating sparkler.  It took me a while to decipher the pattern, and then get it cut.
This is as far as I got before I decided it was time to stop for the night.  Hopefully I can continue getting things accomplished during the week too. 








9 comments:

  1. Wow - you found quite a few projects to work on - no getting bored with just one, right? I love the variety and you'll have some wonderful quilts when you are done. I think the black works very well in the pillow case - although a trip to the fabric store would have been much more fun LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are one powerful sewing machine. LOL great accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy you have been busy--I don't like 3/8ths etc measuring either--there has to be an easier way...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right....when a pattern calls for 6 and 7/8 I always think: Really??? Looks like you are having good sew time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the group here, you are a busy lady...lots happening :) I got my first and perhaps my only row yesterday. I love it more in person than the pic online so I did buy the kit. A good windmill gets me everytime...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the black strip - it brings out the pink nicer! I like a few things on the go at the same time too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been busy! That row by row is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see you took advantage of those 3 free days!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.