Monday, April 29, 2019

Bad Influence

Miss Dawn of SewYouQuilt2 has been on jury duty for the past few days.  For her it is an arduous journey into Boston via public transit, and a hike to the courthouse, long and stressful days, and I have missed her daily posts.  I will admit I tease her unmercifully about her deer quilt, and her name dropping about her BFF Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Company.  Recently there was a joke about Dawn's fabric acquisitions and an alleged destash by Jenny.

I complimented her recently on her scrappy trips which helped me figure out a way to use a copy paper box chock full  of 2 1/2 inch strips for quilt guild.


 I have made 4 blocks so far working as leader and enders while working on a quilt of my own.  I want to make one for me.  I have a bin full of 2 1/2 inch batik strips from a swap I participated in years ago.  I also have a bin full of 2 1/2 inch cotton strips.  But a girl always could use a bit more fabric right?  I have seen these mystery bags of 4 inch strips from Bear Creek Quilting several times.  No I am not an affiliate nor do I receive any compensation for this mention.  Anyway their strips are what they call bolt ends and they have a cotton, batik, flannel, and I think a solid also.   The strips run about $15 and you end up with about 2 yards of fabric.  This past week they had an offer buy one and get a mystery yard for free. 

My package arrived today, and such fun fabrics, and I love the mystery yard. 

I may/may not be responsible for Dawn's purchase from that quilt shop in regards to the special.....


I also bought a book recently.  I keep seeing people making these blocks and I just love what I see.  Summer Moon by Carrie Nelson of Miss Rosie's Quilts.  It is set up as a BOM but it just looked too fun to pass up.  Also some solids which were on sale as the basic of the month. 

I keep thinking I want to make this quilt and use Corey Yoder fabrics from the lines of  Sunnyside Up and Strawberry Jam, and some solids. 

I also saw a pattern that I had to have.  While it would be simple to figure it out, I thought I should support the pattern designer.

I have been doing a wee bit of sewing too.  I finished my April BOM for the LQS.

Amish with a twist.  I cannot get a picture that does justice to the colors.  It is orange, red orange and dark red.

I also managed to make this block for the BOM without making a mistake!  Yippee!

I am not a fan of blocks that use 3/8 or 7/8 inch increments.  I would rather cut a wee bit bigger and trim down a bit. 

Off to put my loot away!









6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout. I missed blogging and visiting my friends.i LOVE your scrappy trip. I may need to make another one.it was so fun.and i used up a ton of 2.5 squates i had hanging around. Your other blocks and projects look fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for Dawn (the enabler!!) that she has returned to our bloggy fold..;)))
    I love your scrappy trips so far and one is on my list for the OTHER bags of scraps hiding in my closet...
    I have put myself on a NO BUY for the rest of this year--I did a lot of damage so far...;(((
    But now I have plenty of new stuff on top of old stuff to mix and match. hahaha
    Lovely blocks...so intricately pieced, Colette...nice work
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could shop with you because you find some really cool stuff. Having you be my bad influence would be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe it'd nice to have someone to blame for some distracting spending! I saw a scrappy trips recently and am very inspired to use some of my scraps and sew one too. Lovely pieced blocks as well - they're both interesting designs :-) Oh and I love your new patterns too! Shall I blame you when I do a little purchasing?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Scrappy Trip is going to be gorgeous. I also loved the Showering Stars. I saw that and thought I should add that to my endless list. lol It sounds like we are all bad influences on other quilters. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I avoid those odd cutting sizes. I also like to make it bigger and trim it down. Some patterns don't ever tell you what size the piece should be, which makes it hard. Enjoy your new fabrics and patterns.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.