Wednesday, January 22, 2020

I Like Thursday #93

Welcome to my 93rd installment of I Like Thursday.  Thank you to LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color for encouraging us to find and share things that are awesome, bring a smile to our face, or put some good out to the world.

I love empty kitty litter buckets.  Man the possibilities when you are a scrap quilter.  I keep strings which for me is anything smaller than 1 1/2-3/4 inch.

I also have one that is full of the trimmings that I use to fill pet beds.

I love blog hops for inspiration and Carla at Creatin in the Sticks is hostessing the Winter Blues Blog Hop which runs through January 24, 2020.



I have an InstaPot, and a couple big Crockpots, but there are times I do not want gallons of something so I bought myself a little 2 quart Crockpot.

 I made shredded chicken for a burrito for dinner.  Chicken breast, a can of tomatoes and chilies, and a little cumin and pepper.  It turned out awesome!  Thanks Diann for the idea.  Next I am going to try Irish Steel Cut Oats.

I know it is only 32 days a little over 4 weeks into winter, but I am ready for a pop of color. I found this cute dish towel.

I like the saying live simply.  I need to work towards that more.

I also found this awesome spring dish drying mat.  I don't have the room for a dish rack the way my kitchen sink and kitchen are laid out.  So what tiny area I do have, these come in really handy for the few things I do hand wash.  Big stuff like pots and pans,  I actually use the stove top.

I like this candle that I bought.  One of my friends from high school, her daughter started this candle company in Washington.  The wicks are made somehow of cedar and so as they burn they give of  small crackling sound.  I especially like this scent called white sage.  It is very clean and reminds me of being in the high desert during the winter.

I also like the little galvanized candle holder I found a few weeks ago.  Fits my farmhouse aesthetic.

I saw this blurb and had to go and read it.  Kind of amazing this architect took an old pre WW1 Cement factory and transformed it to an amazing home over 40 years and is still working on it. Click on the link below to check it out.

Old Cement Factory

I don't know if I shared this with you before or not.  Ball Jars has been coming out with "vintage" color jars the past few years.  Blue, green, amethyst, but this past year they came out with these amber ones and I bought some to use.  This one is for my bacon grease. 

I like shared books.  After Jeff passed there were many books that were shared with me by friend and I cannot begin to get you how much I appreciated them.  Recently Julierose sent me these books by Faith Martin. 

The first book in the series is called Murder on the Oxford Canal which introduces us to DI Hillary Greene.  I will say that it was a good book and I look forward to reading the next in the series which will be Murder at the University. 

I was also loaned this book from a lady at church which seems to have caused some  lively discussion as of late by the older ladies.   They decided they wanted a younger woman's take on it.  I haven't started it

as of yet because I have a couple of books in my queue in front of it.

I liked that California introduced Assembly Bill 1854 would create a task force in the California Department of Justice focused on solving cases of missing and murdered Native American Women.

Take a Listen

In the same vein I liked that this artist creates snow sculptures to honor murdered indigenous women in Canada.

Red River Snow Sculptures

I like that Bobbin's new license finally arrived, several weeks after I sent all my forms in.  I was getting worried that it got lost in the mail.  I was not looking forward to cancelling a check, and driving to animal control to make sure it was taken care of.

This years is an aqua blue.  I jokingly said Bobbin now has her license so she can drive, or show the ICE agents that she is legal and cannot be deported being she is part chihuahua.

Finally my book of the week is Under Tower Peak by Bart Paul, which is described as a Tommy Smith High Mountain Noir. 

Tommy and Les are cowboy, wilderness guides in California's Sierra Nevada Mountains.  While clearing  trail for the forest service they happen upon a small plane wreck with a body.  Arriving back to the station and Tommy discovers that Les has lifted a Rolex watch and the money from the dead man's wallet.  Tommy wants to return the items he doesn't want to be accused of being a body robber, and to report the crash and body to the local authorities, Les and his girlfriend Callie have different ideas.  Things go downhill pretty quickly from there.  I read this book in a couple days reading a couple of hours at a time and I am looking forward to the next book.

Now head over to Not Afraid of Color to check out the other I Like Thursday posts. 








12 comments:

  1. Oh, I want a small crockpot too!
    We have a national inquiring ongoing investigating the murders of indigenous women in Canada. It takes my breath away to think of some of the injustices...our CBC radio which is all I listen to keeps us up to date on the findings.
    Lots of great things included this week. We make great use of old dog treat tubs which are the same size and come in handy. So glad Bobbin is a bonafide citizen with her papers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colette! Oh, that little sweet Bobbin. She kind of looks like she's mad at you - what did you do?!! She looks spiffy in that color coat! Those candles that your friends make are so cool! What a great use for the off casts (I'm guessing) of cedar. And the smell and popping noise! Thanks for the book suggestions - I'll check them out. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thanks for the book review--it sounds really good...
    Cutest pix of Bobbin sporting the new blue license..in her spiffy coat...;))We have a large and a small crockpot and I made us beef stew in the small one yesterday--yum...
    will try that chicken recipe, sounds yummy...hugs for another good week Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know your chicken turned out in the crockpot! I always need hints of spring this time of year, too - you found some fun things! Those books Julierose shared with you sound interesting! I'll have to look them up. So glad Bobbin is legal again, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have another bucket idea for you. I live in NC and we have the grocery store "Ingles Market". Anyway, they give away square buckets like yours as well as small round ones at the bakery. They are icing buckets and they smell like vanilla and stuff. If they don't give them away, they have to demolish them at the end of each day. They all have lids and they wash them out for you. Just a thought on buckets. I'm sure any grocery with a bakery has them. I have several. I use them for birdseed and all sorts of things. Thanks for sharing all your neat ideas. Enjoy your day.:-):-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work in a bakery so we have donut glaze, and icing buckets. Ours actually get recycled, but there are some people that come along and request them occasionally.

      Delete
  6. I didn't know they had smaller crockpots. Nice to know! That's a nice color on Bobbin! I like the idea of a candle that crackles. I love reading your book reviews and I try to keep them in mind when picking out a new book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute little crock pot! I like your towel. My sister has a drying mat like that - she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm i need a small crockpot. The chicken recipe sounds yummy. So glad Bobbin is legally here. Wouldnt want to see her deported. She is so dang cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The book recommendations are great! I've been looking for a couple to download and listen to on the car trip home this weekend, so I'll have to see if the library has them! And I too love kitty litter buckets! Since my kitty died a few years ago I mostly now have the laundry detergent ones but they're quite similar. So sturdy and useful for all kinds of things! Last year I planted flowers in a bunch of them and my mom said they were ugly, but flower pots are expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow-what o lot of cool and interesting likes. I want to cook a chicken breast like that in my small crock pot. How long and on high? I missed your post on the colored Ball jars. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just think of how many vintage sewing machines could be set up in that factory. Lots of room left for cutting tables, etc. I'd be happy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.