Wednesday, September 30, 2020

I Like Thursday #128

The first day of October, and my middle daughter's birthday!  How my children have aged into their 30's when I don't remember getting that much older is astounding to me.  I mean do you ever look at your kids and think how the heck did you get that old?  I don't remember aging that much!  It sneaks up on you.  Kind of like I Like Thursday posts.  We know it is inevitable, but it seems that Wednesday night I am scrambling to write a post and I have done it one hundred and twenty-eight times as of tonight!  Almost 2 1/2 years of I Like posts!  Thank you LeeAnna for encouraging us to find things we like and love throughout our week. 

My first I Like Thursday post was on October 18, 2017.  You can read it here.  In this post I shared about a quilt show I attended, some flowers, and introduced Bobbin!  


I must say I love that little face, and it is so hard to believe that she came into my life almost 3 years ago.  

Today while I was texting my daughter, and Bobbin was burrowing on the couch.  The day was windy, and had gotten cold and wet, and her favorite blanket is the jelly roll with minkee on the back and the photo blanket of Jeff that Dawn of Relaxing Robin sent me.  

It has been a crazy few weeks at work.  I am the only bakery clerk that is full time, and works days.  Also I am still the only one to make donuts.  When they closed down the showcase (Donuts were on a tray, and it was self serve) my hours changed from 3-11:30 to 5-1:30 pm.  The difference now though is,  I package a lot more donuts for the sales floor, and since COVID they have increased the types I package, they have also started a new type of showcase donut instead of on trays, I create assortments of 4 donuts and package and place in the showcase. While it sound easy, I get stifled with ideas on how to make assortments, I mean there are only so many combinations and of course there are rules, I cannot make anything which would resemble what is on the sales floor so I can't package 4 of one kind.  Doing this added another 20 packages of donuts to my day, over and above the normal 100 packages I do for the  floor.  Last week they came out with some "designer" donuts for me to make in packages of 2.  

First a chocolate peanut butter lovers.  A plain cake donut with fudge icing, peanut butter whipped icing, and topped off with a peanut butter cup.

Next is the chocolate lovers donut.  A chocolate cake donut with fudge icing, chocolate buttercream and white and dark chocolate curls. 
Finally is the kid's surprise donut which is a yeast donut with colored icing, sprinkles and a toy. 




What makes all of these so time consuming is that I have to fill pastry bags, and make colored icings.  I timed myself today, the 4 packages of kid's donuts took me 1/2 an hour to make 8 donuts because of mixing colors.  What I like though is that surprising to me, they sell out daily! I also like the decorating even though it is a huge time eater.  

As I was digging for toys to put on the kid's donuts I came across these farm animals and thought they were just too cute. 

I love the chicken it is so sweet!
But then the cow is truly swoon worthy.
But I think the happy little piggy is my favorite
 

While I was outside feeding my girl cat the other day this leaf landed on the table.  I thought the colors were fabulous!

While wandering the store (yes I really do work!) I spied this wine and had to take a picture of it.  I love the labels on some of the spirits.

I think they are always such great artwork.  

I saw this game and it made me chuckle.

Chickapig, but what is the best is the blurb which says--A game with chicken-pig hybrids, strategy and a pooping cow.  I may be getting a couple of these for Christmas gifts.  

Two more towels.  I thought the one with the dressed up pups was adorable.  Check out the ladybug!  

And the nerdy pumpkin with the tape on his glasses was too cute not to take a snap.

I thought this cake pan was fun.

 I don't know if I ever shared the story about one of the ladies I know that lives nearby.  She is a younger woman and always wanted to live on a farm.  When she married her husband bought a house and land, but he is a city boy through and through which is hilarious at times.  The downside is he travels a lot with work, likes to go to parties, golf, and she goes to farm auctions, takes care of her animals and kids. Enter the Americana chicks.  She called me panicking one day while I was at work. 

N:  Um, I went to an auction and kind of overbought.  

Me: How did you overbuy? 

N: Well you have been to an auction, and you know how it gets.  

Me:  I laughed, yeah I do which is why Jeff owned part of a windmill.  They sold it in 2 parts the tower and the head.  He bought the tower, no one even bid against him, but when it came to the head a lady kept bidding him up until he quit after she she made quite a huge bid.  When they were loading up after the auction he was loading up the tower and she came and got quite indignant, what are you doing?  Jeff showed her the bill of sale, and told her taking my windmill tower.  She argued that she had bought the windmill.  The auctioneer came over and explained that she was obviously not paying attention because the tower was purchased by Jeff, and she had purchased the head.  She had no idea what she bought.  She actually expected Jeff just to give her the tower.  By that time Jeff had became a little aggravated and told her he would sell her the tower for 3 X what he purchased it for just because of the headache she caused.  Well she went off in a snit with her head and I still own a windmill tower.....

N:  Well I purchased a bunch of chicks and DH already told me I bring one more animal home and X number of animals will have to leave.  There is just no more room.  

Me:  Can't you just kind of mix them in with the others?

N:  I kind of have already done that with some turkeys and ducks.  

Me:  You think he will notice the increase in the numbers sooner or later, and that they gobble and quack?

N:  Eventually....I can get away with a couple of chicks, but I bought a lot and didn't realize there was 30 in the lot.  My sister bought 20 from me, would you buy 5?  I think I can sneak in 5 unnoticed.  

Me:  Sure bring them by when I get off work.

Well she had 2nd thoughts and decided she wouldn't chance even the 5 so the 10 came to live at my house.  The kids took them and they lived in a water trough in their house until the chicks got feathers.  They are now residing in the brooder house with my 4 we hatched from the incubator.  The thing is they have crazy feather heads.  

These are just juveniles.  They have a ways to go until they are adults.  Juvenile chicks are not very cute. 

The Jerusalem Artichoke has taken off and exploded in a riot of yellow in the yard.  I really should dig all of these up and put them in the field.  They spread like crazy. 

What started out as a shovel width is about 10 feet x 20 feet now.  

With all my wandering at the store I had to add some Halloween decor to my house.  My choices?

A coaster.  While I love mug rugs, I drink a lot of water and the jar sweats and soaks through the mug rug.  So a coaster is the way to go for me. 
A coffee cup.  This one is huge and says something wicked this way comes.  I remember reading the book by Ray Bradbury when I was a kid. 
And a towel, I love the Calaveras and their bright colors.  

My book pick for the week is One Bad Apple by Sheila Connolly.  Meg Corey has moved to Granford, Massachusetts after being downsized out of her banking job.  Meg's mom comes up with the idea that Meg should move into the Warren house, a home that Meg's mother inherited from 2 spinster aunts in the 80's.  If Meg fixes it up and sells it she can have half the proceeds.  What Meg thinks is going to be a slap some paint on and get er' sold has turned into some major work.  Tearing out 80's decor, fixing some electrical, windows, a furnace that is limping along and a plumbing system that is backing up.  Meg calls the local plumber Seth Chapin, only to be told that she needs a new septic system.  While Seth works on that, Meg discovers an apple orchard on her property, and that a land development deal is endangering that orchard.  Imagine Meg's dismay at discovering her former boyfriend is the lead banker in the development deal, and somehow he ends up dead, in Meg's brand new septic tank! 

 

Thanks for reading through, now head over to LeeAnna's at Not Afraid of Color to see what the others have to share that they like/love for the week.


14 comments:

  1. Love the pics of Bobbin. She was so tiny. The donuts look awesome.no wonder they sell out. Send some peanut butter and chocolate ones my way.and throw in one of those adorable cows. So many cool likes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is full of likes today! I’m secretly glad there are only pictures of donuts. Mr Busy is a donut purist! Only plain cake donuts for him. Once in awhile he will accept an old fashioned one. Our great grands would love those designer ones with the toys. I on the other hand love fancy iced donuts. Although I just joined WW again, so the photos are a good option.
    You added some really great seasonal stuff. The cup is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG what a totally fun post!!! Thanks for that, I needed some connection with a smart fun well rounded person! I can't believe the time that passed either. Bobbin 3?? Those donuts! OMG Colette! how good they are and you must have a great store by those, and the towels alone. The windmill story! I had to enlarge the chicken photo to see those head feathers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thursdays do come around surprisingly quickly! Those donuts look yummy, and fun! Love your new Halloween decor. Your book's storyline is very similar to the one I read this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it seems like Bobbin should only be about 18 months old. Where did the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, sign me up for those designer PB and chocolate doughnuts!! I like that happy pig, too. Little Bobbin! And that auction story made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post. The windmill story is a riot. Maybe you can grow a vine up the tower. I think you should buy one of the cow toys and sen it to LeeAnna. She loves cows. Must be time to time to start decorating donuts for Halloween.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading this post, Colette. Interesting story about the windmill and how you wound up with those chickens. Love all the creativity that goes into the donut treats. They are amazing. But I'm sorry they create more work for you. Sweet photos of Bobbin too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I don't remember getting older so when did my kids grow up and get gray hair? We saw our oldest on Sunday and he is closer to 40 than I want to think about. Bobbin was/is so cute. What breed is he? Wish I had met you and Bobbin that time you were at the quilt shop in NH. Chickens? I wish we had enough room for chickens. We go to Farm Supply to buy birdseed in bulk and I always look at the chicks. I will not buy chicks. I live in a city with a postage stamp size yard. I do HEAR a rooster crow at a house two streets over when I am walking, though they do not have any more land than we do. Their closer neighbors may not be thrilled. Thank you for the interesting read .... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is amazing how quickly the years pass. I love the kid’s donuts. That’s such a cute idea. We used to have chickens and always enjoyed watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Colette! Aww, sweet little Bobbin. Look how little she was - just a little peanut. I'm happy she came into your life and then mine via the Thursday likes. You could have put a warning at the beginning of the post - YOU ARE ABOUT TO GET A HANKERING FOR DONUTS. Geez! I just LOVE cake donuts and would be especially happy to have those peanut butter lovers ones. They all look delicious - I never thought about all the work that goes into making them. I'm so glad they sell out each day! The cow and piggy decorations are too darn cute. I'd buy whatever they were on just for the cuteness. Finally, those tea towels you've been sharing are a hoot. Happy Friday to you, my friend. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bobbin was so cute when he was little! So many different donuts! I would be constantly eating them! You always find the cutest towels! Love the sugar skulls. So very Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that little Bobbin and his sweet face! That story about the water tower is hysterical. I wonder what the lady did with just the top of the windmill. LOL It was an enjoyable scroll through all your pics. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.