Sunday, November 8, 2015

Further "Reductions"

I knew that there were a lot of things that I needed to do when I decided to use the word 'Reduce' as my inspiration for the year.  Little did I know that it would have a prophetic effect.  You can read about my reason for choosing the word in this post

Saturday I got up with DH.  He was heading to work overtime, so I had things to get done. Believe it or not I was at the grocery store, home,  put the groceries away, and prepped all the fruits and veggies for the week.  Then I started working on this.  

A few days ago I had cleaned out my closet, which resulted in the gigantor pile on the floor in my bedroom.I decided to clean this up, and get it ready to donate which meant that it needed to be laundered.  Nine loads of laundry later,  I have this all repaired- buttons, hooks and, everything folded and ready to donate! This does not include the shoes and purses which will be donated too.

There are also 6 sets of comforter/duvet cover and pillow shams, and DH even added a few things to the pile.  I also ended up with a closet full of hangers, and actually emptied out a couple of boxes of junk which had been languishing from when I moved in here four years ago. 

The weather was so beautiful that you couldn't help to want to be outside.  We have had unseasonably warm weather the majority of the week. 

I still have cone flowers blooming, notice I did not weed or clean the leaves out of my flower/herb bed?

Even some Heliotrope is blooming.
I was also marveling at how life continues to try to establish.  I have this pretty little maple tree under my porch steps.  Yep I said under my porch steps. 

The tiny bit of sewing that I did do was the Row by Row which I recently received. 

I haven't finished it yet, still a border top and bottom, and this silhouette to cut out and attach.

Lucky for me they sent about 1/4 of a yard of fabric so I have several motifs to choose from.




Aren't these vintage images cool?  They were part of the Row by Row that I really wanted from a quilt shop called Friends & Company in Cody, Wyoming.  The images come form a company called American Quilt Blocks.  If you ever wanted to use some vintage images in your pieces this is the place to find them.

Hopefully I will be inspired to sew this week when I have the time.





6 comments:

  1. I have a couple of those blocks that I picked up while at the Grand Canyon, they are nicely printed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those Americana prints--really neat!!
    "Reduce" --well, I need to do that in a lot of ways: physically =lose lb-age; mentally=get those monkeys in my brain outta here; stash=use it up; house stuff=get rid of old unused and just stored items.....I've begun by donating to Goodwill twice this month. Hard to let go of Mom and dad's stuff...but someone else can use it I am sure....and so it goes...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to donate today but the moved the store so another day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Well done you! Miss H and I took some stuff to the op shop the other day and I sorted through my quilting mags again last night so I can send them off to my friend who has a big basement and has all her mags filed neatly - she can add them to her collection - but you are inspiring with your 'reduction'

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes I think that reduce is a good word for the year. I too am trying to pare down and minimalize. life seems simpler that way with less to junk it up.
    If I am not using it, it is going to someone who will. I have a sentimental side and am thinking of different ways to keep those things. my Moms "love Mom" signature on a card may end up as a bracelet they carve like her signature. then I can wear it everyday and trash the card. so many ideas so little time but a little each moment gets you closer to goal. you go girl! love your row by row.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I need to do that! My closet is so full. I love those vintage postcard blocks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.