Saturday, August 31, 2013

What! August is Over?!?!

I don't know about you, but it seemed that this past month flew by.
What did I get accomplished this month? 

I finished my curtain/valance for the family room, and am very pleased with it.

I managed to get 8 farmer's wife blocks completed this month.
After that all bets were off. 

I canned tomato basil soup

Salsa
Also some tomato sauce.

Today I made peach jam, DH favorite.





I have worked loads of hours

Last year we moved the back door from the middle of the kitchen/family room to the 3 season room/sunroom and DH made a temporary porch.  Believe me it makes the house much nicer to live in without the cold air blasting into the main living area of the house during all the inclement weather  we get during the majority of the year.

This porch will be going to the youngest daughter's house it was originally built for her home last year, but then circumstances changed so we used it for our temporary porch. 

To build the new deck/porch we had a few plants to move some Hostas, and this poor bleeding heart.

Hopefully the move will help it since we had to remove a big maple which was shading the house because it was splitting, and better to take it down than to have it fall on the house.  Bleeding hearts love shade, but also they die back usually by mid summer.  This one kind hung around much longer than normal this year, perhaps due to all the wild weather.  Which definitely helped since I wanted to move it and would not have been able to find it if it had died back such as it had done last year.

Before we got ready to punch holes for the porch poles DH borrowed a tool that would show where the electrical ran to the garage, and barn.  He marked the line with these little white flags.

We measured and marked where to drill the holes with a post  hole auger which fits on the back of our tractor.  My job was to make sure that the drill was straight, and it was in the place marked.

See all those upright posts?  Well we had a wee bit of a problem.



Yep we hit wires.  How?  We aren't too sure.  Just I heard this pop, pop, pop sound, looked toward the house, turned around and white smoke was rolling out of the post hole we had just dug. We had hit the electrical line!  Um yeah the white marker flags were several feet away.  Obviously there is something running there, nothing that was put in while DH has owned the farm though. 

While digging we found a silver baby spoon, about 3 feet down we found bricks, pavers,  broken glass, nails and some blocks,  like what is used in the construction of our house.  There are many treasures which we have found lately.  I will have to share more another time.

After we hit the wires we had to retrench where the wires run, and we will have to wait to fix the power to the out buildings until the holiday is over. 

We had a lovely little visitor.

Don't know if you can see it but we found a toad where he came from I have no idea.

We will let the posts sit overnight to let the cement cure and finish it tomorrow hopefully!

We had a lovely sunset tonight.


Picked some more tomatoes, have still more that need picking, but my bowl was full and running over.
I have done a bit of sewing in the last week.  I made 3 four patch blocks from scraps left over from a previous quilt.  I have an idea of what I want to make with these scraps, it is just having the time to do it right now.

What have you been working on this month?  What did you complete.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping in to visit.