Monday, July 30, 2018

2018 Michigan TOGA

July 21st I attended the Michigan TOGA in Charlotte, Michigan.  TOGA is Treadle On Gathering and Academy for people who use people powered sewing machines.  Missy of Missy's Homemaking Adventures, and Cheryl of Cheryl's Teapots 2 Quilting are both big fans of people powered sewing machines. 

Cheryl posted about going to the TOGA and I invited myself along.  Cheryl is so cute, and sweet, and of course I don't want to break my bad blogger streak, I didn't get a picture of her and I together, nor any pictures of the very cool machines.  You can check out the machines on Cheryl's blog.  Cheryl gifted me with one of her awesome project bags. 



The TOGA was held at The Hen House in Charlotte, Michigan.  Such a cute store and the employees were so very friendly.  Lots of great fabrics, patterns, and notions!  So of course I had to adopt some and bring it home.

 Gorgeous batiks.

White on black fabrics, including text fabric!

A really cool chicken pattern, and I needed some feather fabric for it....

And after Cheryl's tutorial I knew I was going to need to make a sewing machine mat/cover and thread catcher, and loved this fabric.


 I also saw this super cute hexie project box which is hand sized.

At the gathering machines, and parts were bought and sold.  Cheryl taught me how to convert my Singer 99K to a hand crank.  I worked on a new project for a charity quilt.  I have my blocks about 1/2 way completed.  It will be a falling charms quilt made from Riley Blake using the line called Puppy Love. 

There were door prizes.

I was told to bring something in a brown bag.  I couldn't find all the stuff I wanted to take, but put a bottle of Mary Ellen's Best press. I received this iron in my brown bag.

I had a wonderful time and hope to attend in the future. I returned Cheryl's hand crank and hand wheel but of course I had to have some of my own so that I could continue to use the machine as people powered and finish up my quilt.


Maybe next year I can wander down to Missy's TOGA. 





8 comments:

  1. That looks like an interesting time. Too bad I live so far away .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun, my 99 is converted to a handcrank too but I must admit that I haven't sewn with it much yet. It is to be my machine to use when the power is out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a fun time you had! I don't own a treadly, but my Grand-mere sewed on one--i used to kneel on the floor and push the treadle ...sweet memories...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of a TOGA but it would be fun to go. I have always been fascinated by people powered machines. I have one but it has been turned into electric. Awesome fabrics...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got two treadles, but only use them when absolutely necessary (as in when the power goes out). I should use them more. It looks like a fun get together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice project bag - lovely gift! I have an old hand crank but don't use it. I think it probably needs a hospital stay at the sewing machine fix it place! Love that chicken pattern - it looks quite unique

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you love using the hand crank. I know I do. Best part is you can still use the motor when you want. It was great getting to finally meet you in person. Hope to see you at the Missouri TOGA next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always seem to find the best places to shop and fun events to visit. I love that chicken pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.