Thursday, October 3, 2013

I Will Triumph and October Goals

I lamented my problem with my Magic Carpet Ride strip quilt yesterday during my blog.  I laughed, and obsessed a wee bit on what to do with it last night at work and all that kept popping into my brain was a scene from "French Kiss" with Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline.

OK maybe it was not quite that bad.

I had many encouraging comments and decided I had several options.

1.  Remove one strip, fix the strip across the back, square it up, bind it and all is good
2.  DH suggestion..."I love it honey, why are you stressing about it put a really wide binding on it and it will be fine."
3.  Use one of the left over fabrics and create a strip and add it too the backing.
4.  Remove all of the quilting, unsew the backing, square it up, maybe add a couple of vertical fabric strips and then try the lingerie interfacing, enlist some help from DH, spray baste the bejeebers out of it, lay the top, then pin it good.

I chose none of the above.  I decided to square up two sides which were very straight, and use that backing fabric to add to the back to make it wide enough.  While it may not be extremely straight, it will be all the same.  Next I unsewed the backing strip, and shortened it up.    Will it be done today?  Highly unlikely will it be done this week.  Indubitably.

In fact I am so positive it will be completed I even cut my strips for binding.  Now that is determination.



**Side note I did the quilting for the one strip and was not happy with it so it is going to get unsewn.  How apt to watch Ripper Street on Netflix while using Mr. Ripper to unsew.  My next tactic is to hand baste the edge first, then quilt the final strip.

OK on to the October Goals I am going to link up with Carrie over at A Passion for Applique and Nothing But UFO's for 2013.  I sure created a bunch this past month. :P

1.  I am going to finish the Magic Carpet Strip quilt.  I need to finish the quilting and binding. 
2.  I need to finish my Bestie's birthday gift.  Just needs a backing, quilting, and binding.
3.  I want to finish my table runner.  Again needs backing, quilting and binding.
4.  Quilt my Ginger Rose, weather is better to sweat this one out.
5.  I would like to make a few more Farmer's Wife blocks.
I would like to make 8 blocks at least which would give me  about 40 blocks, especially since I did not finish any last month.

6.  Lazy Sunday quilt I would like to get my blocks all cut out for this one
7.  Jewel box quilt one of the girls from my fabric swap has hers almost done and I started before her.  I would like to make at least 4 blocks.  I need to make at least 36 blocks total I am not even 1/3 done. 

8.  I have a 3 barns, and 4 silo barns to do.  I think the original barns are actually finished from Lori's Quilty Barn Along!
9.  Country Charmer I am so far behind but I would like to make a few of these this month too.  I would like to make 4. 
10.  Just maybe work on my next donation quilt I have an uber cute fabric panel and some other fun stuff to go with it.

I have plenty of other stuff to do also.  This is a heavy birthday month for me.  Three daughters have birthdays this month, as well as a Son in Law and my bestie.

What are your sewing plans for the month?

11.  I am participating in a mug rug swap and I have 2 to make so is that 11 or 11 and 12!









6 comments:

  1. Glad to see that you arrived at a solution. I have a Farmer's Wife started from last year but not touched it in a year now. 30 blocks done. Some day it will happen but not anytime soon with hop items, tree skirt etc to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is coming together. I foresee some basting in my future before I finish up the last row of quilting, and the binding is most definitely going to be done by machine. I love the farmer's wife they have really helped with my quilting skills immensely.

      Delete
  2. Girl, you have a lot on your plate. Good luck with it all! I do like that blue and beige quilt and all your barns are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it! :) I love your photographic do do list. I may use that idea myself. A visual reminder is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comment. The photos kind of keep me focused. Sometimes I get side tracked.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is a lot to accomplish in one month! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.