Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Wild Geese Inspiration

I kept staring at my original pattern of the staggered geese that I had created.  While I could not execute it as a paper pieced pattern there had to be a way.  I sat at my sewing machine with a bunch of scraps and started making flying geese bodies, with just one wing.  I then wondered what would happen if I made one with a stitch and flip wing about 1 1/2 inches longer.

Viola'


I am not going to do more than back, quilt and bind.  While not perfect not too bad.  My experimental staggered geese were only 1 x 2.  I think I will call it the Goose Chase Mug Rug.  

I still had one more mug rug to make for my swap.  In Michigan it is apple orchard time.  Many orchards press their own cider, make cider donuts, and add hay rides, corn mazes, petting zoos and it is quite the festival.  Dh insists we go to a specific orchard and we purchased 1 1/2 bushels of apples this year.  These apples are not for cooking, they are for eating.  The name is Mutsu they are not commercial apples, they are not "pretty enough", but they have a wonderful flavor, not quite as tart as a Granny Smith, but not as sweet as a Golden Delicious.  Lovely firm flesh.

DH will actually spend an exorbitant amount of money on Cider from this orchard, actually more than he will pay for a pair of jeans. 

Because it is cider season I thought a mug rug would be appropriate.

Paper pieced mug, my sugar maple leaf which I had created the other day, and a raw edge applique' apple on the cup. I am going to do a bit of stitching on the maple leaf, and around the cider time tag I made.  I was pleased with how it turned out. 

The post man left a package yesterday and inside it were oodles of goodies.  I won 20 fat quarters from Island Batiks from the Twisting to the 60's With Batiks blog hop. 

Mdm Sam also included these super cute pins!

A cute window cling, and note cards.


Dh just looked and smiled, shaking his head and asked, "What is the saturation point for fabric?"  I just smiled, mentioned I live in a 5 bedroom home, and texted my daughter.  Oh and he went out to grab some cleaner to clean up my newest acquisition.  More on that another time. 

I have accomplished lots the last couple of days.  I love it when I feel like I see progress. 


5 comments:

  1. Love your staggered geese....that will be a darling mug rug. And I'm seeing your leaf and wishing our trees would turn. Another week I suppose as they are just barely beginning. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you winning all the batiks! Congrats!
    I love your mug rug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I love fall festivals, and what a great win! I love the quilter on board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great win!!!!

    Your staggered geese layout is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love both mug rugs! Congrats on your wonderful winnings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to visit.